Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 04:55:40 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  In Character Boards
| |-+  In Character Board (Moderators: Hoagie, Raiden Morana)
| | |-+  The Book of Compassion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Book of Compassion  (Read 1948 times)
Kal/Mathew
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2006, 08:40:08 am »

I was called to the Barracks by Squire Roland. When I got there I seen Captain Shadwell and another Guardsman there triing to help Delc out of a situation that he had gotten in. After awhile The Squire told me that he wanted the book of Compassion found. I with the company of Kurt set out to find this book that the Squire spoke about. Brit was our point of interest of locating this book. Somewhere on the way there I lost Kurt, What happened to him I can not figure out, but none the less the bool of Compassion needed to be found.

I made my way to brit and headed to the Library to speak with a man there by the name of "Eugene" I walked into the Library and it was a buisy place. And mane turn and looked at me and asked if I needed any help. I told the man that I seek the Book of Compassion.

He then told me to wait a moment that he would look to see if he had it. After a moment he turned and told me that he remembered that a man came in and borrowed it, A bard from the music shcool, he explained. I then asked where this school was and that I would go that and get the book I needed from him personally. He told me how to get there so I headed off to go and get the book from a man named "Jay".

I finally found the music school and what a big place it was. I walked inside and looked around when a high spirited man came up and asked if I had something to deliver to him, I then told hik that I was looking for a man by the name of Jay.

He then told me that he was the man I looking for. I asked him about the bok and he told me that he did have it. I told him that I needed the book for the Church of Cove was looking for it. He then told me that I could have the book, but I had to do something for him to get it. I asked him what it was I had to do and he told me about the Gargoyal City and how he wanted to put on a play there, but needed me to get him a permit from one of the Cities Leader there. He then told me that I could find one of the Leaders in the Tavern by the docks and that his name was K'lor. I then headed out to the Tavern.

Once there I went in and seen a few people in there but none that looked like a Gargoyal. I move to the back of the place when I seen the one I was looking for.

I walked up to the strange looking being and asked if his name was K'lor. He turned and said that his name was K'lor and asked me my Buisness. I then explained to him that a Bard wanted a permit to put on a play in his fine City. When I was finished he then said that he didn't see any harm in it so he filled out a permit and handed it to me, but not before letting me know that I owed him a favor for this. I then asked what favor he needed and he told me that he would get back with me on it.

I thanked the man and then headed out back to the Music School. As I got there I went inside and looked for Jay the Bard, and found him on a stage working on his play. I waled up and told him that I had his permit and handed it to him. He then became so happy that he turned to walk off, I stoped him and had to remind him about out agreement. He then gave me the book and I thanked him and turn to head back to cove to hand the book over to te Squire.

Upon my arrival I seen Corporal Mela talking to her Apprentace the Goblin.

I then walked up to the Squire and told him that I had recovered the Book. I then handed him the book and he thanked me and said that he would put the book safely away in the church.

Signed Regular Scout: Kal ShadowHand

Garak Nightchill
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 08:47:00 am »

Fine work, Scout ShadowHand.  Having recovered this holy tome, I hope Avatar forgives thine earlier heresies.  Alas that my wounded leg keepeth me from carrying out Avatar's work.  I can only hope Avatar sees fit to restore me to full health.

In Nomini Deus,

Roland Dagorian
Templi Squire
Garak Nightchill
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 12:50:23 am »

The Book of Compassion

By Redren Mallor

The bard hurried out of the tavern, not running but not exactly walking either.  He had spent the past few hours playing his harp and singing his songs.  For the past several years he had sung in this tavern, his songs not quite heroic but not quite villainous either.  A somewhat moderate stance seemed to win him the most patrons.  But such neautrality was but a pose, something known to few of the bard's acquaintances.

His name was Connor Conradson.  And his tale was a tragedy of bitterness and redemption.  Connor and his friends came from relatively well to do families and as children were not overly burdened with labour.  Then one day the stranger appeared.  He wasa bold knight, fearless yet friendly.  Or so he appeared. 

Over several days spoke to the youths, entertaining them with tales tall and improbable, but never for a moment did they dare question his integrity, swallowing every word whole.  Then one day it all changed, Connor's life with it.

The self-proclaimed knight appeared at the normal time as expected.  But he seemed distant, surly even.  The youths joked and teased as usual, awaiting the usual tale.  But it was not to be.  The warrior roared without warning, and drew a savage looking mace.  Without provocation and without mercy he attacked, swinging his gruesome weapon mercilessly, striking down the bard's friends one by one, smashing skulls and splintering bones.  The bard himself was knocked senseless.

He awoke to find his friends slain and vowed justice.  For years he wandered the land seeking the supposed knight but to no avail.  He survived through song and story, juggling and jesting, never resting.  And then one day his life of restlessness paid off.  He found his man.

The murderer was staying at an inn in Britain, a man of respectable if not profitable means.  By chance the bard was staying in the same inn and recognised his friends' slayer.  The murderer recognised him not at all.  All evening and into the erly hours of the morning the bard played, as flawlessly as ever.  All throughout the evening his eyes barely moved from the murderer, the man upon whom he had promised justice.  Finally the slayer, now elderly, left the inn, seeking air.

The bard put up his instruments and followed, a small but lethal crossbow cradled in his arms.  He quietly crept after the murderer, following him outside.  Espying his target, he took aim, the bolt pointed unerringly at the murderer's back.  And he paused.  For the man was with a young girl.

"Father!" yelled the young girl happily.  Affectionately the murderer took the girl into his arms and hugged her as a father would his child.  The girl was plainly yet warmly yet plainly dressed, and clearly doted on the man.  Slowly, hiding his crossbow beneath his cloak, the bard approached the murderer and murmered his greetings.

For several minutes the two conversed, the bard discovering that the murderer was now the sole guardian the the girl, an orphan.  The bard paused, torn between his desire for Justice against his friends' killer, and Compassion for the girl, whose only family was that self-same killer.  He made his decision.  Quietly uncocking his crossbow, he wandered off, remaining in Britain as a bard and storyteller.  Every few months, the killer, now a merchant, visited the city with his adopted daughter in tow, who grew well and healthily. 

Thus endeth the tale of Compassion.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length