Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:08:02 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  Scribe's Trove (Moderator: Kelly Sanderson)
| | |-+  To reminisce
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: To reminisce  (Read 4041 times)
Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2006, 01:34:16 am »

"There." I whispered quietly to myself as I stuck down a small sketch. I was making a scrap book, apparently its what women do, to 'create'. Cods-wallop to that I thought for the last 2 years however the sudden urge to do something aside stabbing things with my kryss or spear turned the tides on the matter. The activity in itself was boring and tedious, snip,cut and paste were the main actions and the only thing that made me, no, motivated me to keep going was the end result - a book full of memorys good and bad. I flicked through the gold laced book before slamming it shut a heavy thud echoed through our Trinsic base and dust which seemed to have gathered over the last hour in the pages sprayed out the sides. I was surprised that the ruckus I caused didn't wake anyone up, hundreds of Covian soldiers all huddled together, there were few beds and the ones lucky enough to get them had to put up with the green eyed monster known as jealousy all day!

I placed the scrap book at the end of the bed and stroked my fingers across the leather cover a slight scraping sound emitting as my long and sharp nails dragged through the leather. Looking across the bodies of the soldiers I frowned and began tip toeing over them almost tumbling several times, I even kicked one accidently it puzzled me as I couldn't place a name to the young mans face. Shrugging I unhooked my leather tunic off the hooks near the stairs and began strapping it on my brow furrowed in concentration as I buckled the many 'belts' up. Tieing my sash and pulling my new cloak around my shoulders I padded quietly down the sandstone stairs in the almost pitch black dark.

"Why are you always up this late?" I spoke to Hoagie as I reached the bottom of the stairs. He was leant against the wall his dark hair trailing over his face and was per usual was in his dragoon armour.
"How's a girl supposed to reminisce when your looming in the corner?" He looked up at me to see my lips painted in a cheeky grin, of course I was joking Hoagie.

"Couldn't sleep?" he asked, ignoring my cheeky comments. He raised his hand and fixed his eyes on his engagement ring, he always did that. Big softie, completely head over heels. I shrugged in reply to his question and sat on the edge of the large table placing my feet on the chair in front.

"Haven't tried." I replied shortly while reaching back towards a hefty crate which sat behind me, Mirael; bless her cotton socks I thought as the large lid was opened. 20 bottles of Covian ale just like I'd asked earlier today, the soldiers were fed up of the sickly Trinsic ale and so was I to be truthful. Reaching into the box I gripped the neck of two bottles and tossed one towards Hoagie who only just managed to catch it. Reeling back I roared with laughter as an irritated frown spread across his face, shadows of the candle flame flickering adding to his handsome and boyish appearance. As my laughter died down we popped the corks from our ales and tapped the bottles together in a silent toast.

"Whens the wedding?" I asked eventually breaking the silence, it wasn't uncomfortable it never was and never would be. He looked up thoughtfully and tapped the head of the ale bottle against his chin and taking in a deep breath he spoke.

"Date isn't set yet actually," pausing Hoagie took a swig of his ale "Sometime after the moot we hope." Smiling at him I placed my bottle down next to myself on the table. Looking around at all the Covian banners which had been hung around I frowned a lot of them were lopsided or dirty great way to show we're patriotic.

"How's Erik?" his expression was concern mixed with curiosity and his deep brown eyes were locked on me as he swigged from his half empty bottle. Shrugging in reply I sighed. Erik hasn't been around in months he started his disappearing acts just as we got married, typical, what a great wedding present.

"I wouldn't know." Hoagie sighed and placed down his empty ale bottle. The reason why we got on so well was, that we understood each others grief and so his expression was almost as pained as mine. Sliding off the table I took up my bottled and downed the rest of the bitter ale letting my emotions get the best of me was a bad idea so I decided it was time to head up to bed. Reluctantly and awkwardly hugging Hoagie good night I head upstairs and creeped in between the mess of bodies. He'd return home eventually, when he got sick of his far off adventure..

(OOC: After reading Ira's story I decided to try first person writing. I know theres a lot of things to nit-pick at, I tend to use the word 'I' a lot >.>)

Amy Marsteller
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 05:44:33 am »

Really liked it! Keep them coming!  Grin
Vince Valentine
Cove Command
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Carl Hammond - Detective

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 08:44:38 am »

Enjoyed reading it Smiley

Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 11:48:40 am »

Same here!

A very easy read and a little insight into Mela too!

Maybe she's not a dragon after all Tongue

Well done!

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Conan Darkmoon
Dead
Covian Legend

Grenadier of Cove, Protector of the Baron..

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 07:41:33 pm »

Makes me want to drag Eric by his hair back to Cove.  Well written.   Wink
Erik Arkay/Evinyatar
Banned for profanity on command forums
Cove Command
Covian Legend

I worship Cabbage

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 02:40:39 pm »

*Peek*

Me too! Damn that Arkay! Unreliable sod...Nothing like the dependable Mr Spider *Nod* You'd never leave, would you Mr Spider? No sir, you wouldn't!

Malkom
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 03:43:51 pm »

*Looks about*

Err....I think that mister spider would like Erik to stay on his medication.
*Whistles implying madness*
qom_riyadh
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 09:23:34 pm »

Nice, nice! Well detailed, very vivid describing the mood, surroundings and background...
Good reading...

*closes the book and wonders where the hell might be Erik...*
Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 03:09:32 pm »

I dangled my feet in the warm water of the spirituality hot springs unafraid of what might be lurking within the mysterious cave waters. A bell like dripping noise echoed throughout the compact cave as well as the soft trickling of the slow but beautiful waterfall. The mesmeric and calming water lapped at my bare legs before I slid in; the water enveloping around me. Steam from the water rose slowly dampening my face as I leaned my aching head back against the rocky bank.

Me and Hoagie had lead a rescue mission earlier on in the week for Salick, it had gone well though I wont be firing my crossbow again for a while as my aim is off. Didn't even hit anyone in the head. I drifted further into the water and sat on a large rock the water just touching my chin. No one wanted to help with the rescue as he was only a watchman its hard hearing people call someone I'm so attached too 'expandable' and actually mean it. Slowly my eyes drifted shut even though clearly behind me I could hear the light pattering of sandeled feet - I wasn't worried.

"Whats wrong now, Sophia?" I said raising my hands and rubbing the fresh water against my face. The small girl stood silently fiddling with a woven basket she held on her arm, her sandy blonde hair was tied in two plaits and her large blue eyes glared at the back of me. I turned slowly and rested my arms on the dusty bank, the lass sure had my bite.

"Y...y..y..you promised you w..w..w.would help." she replied finally a harsh edge to her tone. The poor girl was only around 4 yet she acted older than most just a shame about the stutter. I shrugged and pushed myself out the dreamy water the cold cave air hitting me hard as I raised to my feet. Walking around in a wet kilt and shirt would surely give me some form of cold but I know I'd never get away without carrying out what I promised - damn kids.

"Aye well, I didn't think you needed a hand picking mushrooms." I grinned at her but was frowned at in reply it wasn't hard to tell why she was so old acting for her age. She leaned down slowly and with some difficulty lifted my heavy and muddy boots getting her clean white dress covered in thick muck. I cringed and quickly took the boots off her - she was like a sheep dog, always worrying and 'herding' me along.

"You got your pretty frock dirty," I paused to tug on my boot "Daddy wont be pleased, eh?" she shrugged in reply and picked off a piece of dirt and dropped it in front of herself on the floor. She'd be stiff and cold with me for a while and naturally I had no idea why, ah well, there was nothing I could do but wait until something slipped out. I raised to my feet and reached over to her taking the basket with care.

"What you wanting the mushrooms for anyhow?" I quizzed. The small girl sighed loudly and rolled her eyes before heading off through the cave, Sophia knew the path well and had walked down it many times before. "Not going to tell me?" I pushed a small frown slowly tugging across my face.

"I already d.d..did. Twice." came her reply, snappy and sharp.Ouch. Why was I so bad with children? Shrugging  I pushed the woven basket up my arm and followed in silence. I used to be alright with her then again at the time she couldn't talk or walk; also she agreed with everything I had to say. We traipsed through the darkish cave until we came to a room full of red and white speckled mushrooms she silently leaned and began snapping them at the stem a loud crunching noise echoing throughout the cave. I rocked on my heels and glanced around, what did she want mushrooms for anyhow? How awkward this was turning out to be. Placing the basket down next to the small child I reached into my soaking wet pocket and pulled out a small folded knife.

"Look, if you use a knife then you can cut it a lot easier," I said. Stupid stupid stupid - Since when should a four year old use a combat knife for cutting mushrooms? "Or actually that's a bad idea," I carried my sentence on my confidence draining a little "I'll help." The mushrooms looked pretty but the whole cave smelt of sickly must and the faint smell of swamp.

After the basket was full Sophia finally smiled at me and placed her little hand on my shoulder. Perhaps she didn't hate me so much? "T.t..thank y..y.you for h..h..helping me." and she raised slowly to her feet, almost falling as she did. Her balance was never brilliant there was never any way the tiny tot could ride a horse or anything for that matter! Perhaps over time the irritating stutter and her balance would fix? I shrugged to myself and followed her out of the cave, I hissed loudly cat like as per usual as the sun attacked my eyes. Erik still wasn't home from where-ever he was, and I was starting to loose hope maybe Shadwell was right when he said that he had fallen; maybe..
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 04:02:49 pm by Mela Arkay » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length