Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:45:16 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  AFK Killings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: AFK Killings  (Read 5918 times)
Garak Nightchill
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2006, 06:27:25 pm »

Two of our members were killed whilst afk.  It's not known who is responsible, whether it was a BoC member or someone from another guild.  A reminder that if someone is afk don't attack them.  Always give a verbal 'warning' of attack.  It doesn't have to be much, just something that indicates your intent.  If the player is clearly afk i.e just continues standing there then don't attack.

If you do get killed whilst afk, check your journal immediately.  If it states who attacked you screenshot it. 

Please icq/pm myself or another command member if this continues. 
qom_riyadh
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 08:07:18 pm »

Well, I was killed one day while being afk, but then I've thought of something...

Basically, it isn't a concern of anyone if you're afk or not. Your char is still in game, and therefore is available for any actions, which are possible ingame. So if you care so much about not having it killed, log out. (After all, would you raise a protest if a rat will kill you whilst afk...?)
What's the point of being in-game, if you leave it for enough time to have someone kill you...

Also UO is not like an instant messenger - it doesn't provide status like "Away", "DND", "Invisible", or "Free For Chat". UO and its users try to simulate life (artificial and unreal, but still life). How would you be treated, if you would stand in the middle of your town and act like being "Away from life"? Stealing your cellphone and wallet would be the minor problems which you might get into.

Well, that's just my opinion - free to comment or flush it down the drain.

Smiley
Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 08:16:16 pm »

Qom make a good point. However if you have to run some place and don't have time to run off and log out and have to be afk quickly, being killed afk isn't that nice, especially if the people that did it knew you where afk, if not then nothing much can be done. But it wouldn't be that big of a deal if the ones that killed you didn't loot you or anything like that, and waited to resurrect you, or leaving someone else to do it (depending on how long your afk)

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 09:59:42 pm »

I logged out outside my house in Yew once. Grd ganked me=/ Lost all my stuff. Luckily, that usually isn't the case.
Moraine DiGoraz
Banned for excessive profanity.
Citizen of Cove
Covian Veteran

Unlike cool Covians I am banned for being an idiot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 12:38:10 am »

If you don't want to be killed, don't be in game. Simple as that.
It's time people bloody stopped whining!

Sure, it sucks if you are killed whilst afk, but there are several methods you can use to prevent this!

1 - If you can, HIDE!
2 - Camp and log out, this only takes 2 minutes and can be done almost anywhere!
3 - Make sure you always have a charged runebook with the location of an inn marked in it.

At any time, at any occasion you should be ready for an attack.
If you aren't then the death of your character can only be blamed on YOU!

Kazuo Shinrai was a most wanted character, frequently targetted by assassins.
I am happy to report though that over 2 years he has not ever been killed when caught off guard, not once and that is not because I am at my pc 24/7 when he's logged on.

So about this deal?
Stop whining and enjoy the game!
Hell, I'd hate to bring this up but Trammel didn't always exist you know...
and back then roleplayers were outnumbered by random griefers at least 2 to 1.

Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 01:15:13 am »

I knocked you when you surrounded by bodyguards! That must count!

But yeah, I agree with Kazuo, there's a lot of things you can do to avoid getting knocked when afk.
Conan Darkmoon
Dead
Covian Legend

Grenadier of Cove, Protector of the Baron..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 06:47:47 am »

I was one of them, very irritating indeed.
Garak Nightchill
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 08:17:16 am »

Quoted from the Rules:

- Do not force players to PvP, always give alternative options (running away, being taken prisoner, etc). In all cases, ensure players are not AFK or disconnected before attacking.

The above isn't a guideline, or a recommendation, it is one of the rules that many of the Roleplaying guilds, BoC included, have signed up to.  The flouting of this rule will not be tolerated, regardless of whether it's 100% accurate RP for your char to ambush someone without warning, or ignoring obvious afk status. 

Whilst it's common sense to not be afk, disconnects happen, the doorbell goes, the phone rings and nature calls.   

userjosh5368
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 03:23:50 pm »

Conan wasn't yours by an UNDEAD Tongue
Kal/Mathew
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 03:21:06 pm »

I agree with Garak 100%. The rule were stated for a reason. Being called away from the Game for a short while is going to happen and alot of thimes you can not take the time to log out. Be fore I attack anyone from the shadows I alway make sure they are at the pc by waiting to see them move eather taking a step or playing around with their weapons, "Equiping them or unequiping them" or even wait till someone comes up and says something to them.

There are many ways to know if someone is at the PC's.

Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 04:36:43 pm »

To add to Kal's excellent points.. dropping something on the floor and seeing if they react is a good way..

Samuel West
Regular
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Beasting will continue untill morale improves!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 05:30:36 pm »

I agree with garak... Rules are rules, and they are there for a reason... I don't wanna have to recall back home just to make a drink for half a minute then spent 2 trying to get back on

Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2006, 05:31:51 pm »

Stop whining, I'm all for the ability to slaughter the people who are afk.
Veldrin
An Old Flower
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 06:16:16 pm »

So if you care so much about not having it killed, log out.

Wise words. I can't count the times I've seen Hrothgar or Raziel or another of his characters get killed while AFK, as he seems to leave them in the middle of a room or out in the open, just standing idly.

...Okay, actually I can count the times and it's 2. But I'm sure it's happened while I haven't been present. Every time he lost all of his gear. He could have avoided that if he just logged out.

I agree with garak... Rules are rules, and they are there for a reason... I don't wanna have to recall back home just to make a drink for half a minute then spent 2 trying to get back on

Let's not insult each other's intelligence by being pedantic. We're not talking about short bathroom breaks, getting a drink, or standing up for a minute to stretch and scratch your bum. If you're doing that, then it's easy enough to use the Hide skill. Even at zero hiding, if you have Mondain's Legacy, then you have 20 in every skill (if you're human) and you have a good chance of successfully hiding.

And before someome makes some tedious counterpoint about how you don't want to hide while there are other people around because it's bad roleplay, you probably don't HAVE to hide if you're going afk for only a minute or two if there are other people around.

Rules are rules, and you and I might be competent or considerate enough to follow them. But if you really THINK that some people don't just break the rules for their own enjoyment, then you're in for an unpleasant surprise. We can make rules and we can enforce them but we can't control everyone.

If you're going AFK to eat dinner or watch TV or lock yourself in the bathroom with unmentionable magazines, then log out. I'm not saying you have to recall home to do it, and I know it's SO HARD to spend that two minutes typing in your password to log in, but if you really think you should be safe just because there's a rule in place, and it's BoC's fault if you get killed, well you're wrong. BoC and Command aren't here to babysit your characters. If you decide to hang around AFK for an hour or two and you come back to find yourself killed, then maybe you shouldn't be hanging around afk for an hour or two.

However, AFK-ganking IS against the rules and the people who do it WILL be penalized. You CAN help us find the guy who did it and ensure he doesn't do it again. Open your Journal, and see if there's a name in there. If it says "DarkLink de Zephiroth is attacking you!" then you've got your man, and we can do our part to ensure that he won't do it again. However we can't stop new violators, and I'm sorry if you lose your gear, but it is preventable.

[03:19:28] Shadwell (BoC): We should get married.
[03:19:50] Shadwell (BoC): And dont quote me in your sig
                                  -----
[01:17:32] Tiberius Oct: I blamed Americans.
[01:17:58] Tiberius Oct: Then we chuckled and went back to eating crumpets and colonizing developing nations.
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 08:00:04 pm »

*Agrees with Veldrin and hopes Trammel is banished *

Veldrin's right, and do a 72 run of Felly, let's see if you log off afk anymore... pansies!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length