Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 11:36:37 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Career path for veterans
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Career path for veterans  (Read 7698 times)
Erik Arkay/Evinyatar
Banned for profanity on command forums
Cove Command
Covian Legend

I worship Cabbage

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2007, 04:16:32 pm »

Yes, it's idea spammage day...

At the moment the veterans of the guild are a bit lacking any clear 'promotion path'. Add that after months of service some soldier tasks are simply not refreshing enough anymore to do them on a daily basis and I would like to see what people thought about a change here. I'm thinking about such characters as Gregor Eason, Hrothgar, Grief, Kal Shadowhand, Tiberius, etc. People who want to keep their guardsman because they DO want to participate in guardsmen duties from time to time and battles but who might be looking for a change to liven things up a bit.

Why not make it so that senior guardsmen (or simply veterans regardless of rank) can adopt a dual guardsmanship/citizenship status? Grief's already done something like this with the Green Goblin. But maybe one of those veterans might feel more inspired, motivated or generally have more fun again if they could open up some sort of business or profession.

I'm thinking about people who might want to build a Trade Imperium doing trade caravans, someone who wants to found some sort of business (face it 90% of the things sellable as a BoC merchant don't really require skill to make and can be purchased from an npc), Someone may want to double as a warrior-cleric or disciple, Someone may wish to settle down RP having a family or anything of the likes. Basically anything that would keep the old dogs still interested doing 'new' stuff and starting new projects while still retaining the possibility to perform as a guardsman (Like a reserve force of some sorts)

Thoughts? Especially thoughts of the old coots honorable veterans?

Gregor Eason
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 04:23:03 pm »

I think thats quite a kool idea.

And aye, the promotion path isn't quite clear - but I suppose the opportunity is there for the veteran guardsman to use his/her own imagination to invest into the Guild. Any original ideas about setting up a Business or starting a Family would probably be kindly accepted and appreciated by the Baronship.

Its hard to detail a clear cut set of options, because truly.. the possibilities are endless.

But indeed, Grief is pretty much a fine example of this concept.

Garak: "Uh, I was under the impression we didn't allow neon hair?"
Grief: "I was under the impression we didn't allow hair at all!?"
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 04:23:27 pm »

Nobility is one thing they could do. Earl of Altmere, anyone?

Shopkeeping is one thing, perhaps they get one of the jobs in the Baron's Household?
i.e.
Erik Arkay, tea boy

EDIT:
WHAM. Idea.
Knights! Sir Eason!

Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 04:41:52 pm »

Nice idea.

These more senior members would surely hold fairly high standing in civilian life and indeed positions in the Baron's Household as well as business opportunities and family life are all good alternatives.

Perhaps become fishermen and forage the ocean for adventure and treasure or become traders or farmers etc. Or like Erik says become churchies as either peaceful clerics or warrior monks?

The concept should provide some new/diverse events for guardsmen and civilians alike.

Something to ponder perhaps.

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Mela Arkay
'Must be stopped'
The Light Company
Covian Legend

<3 PooSwallower

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 04:45:08 pm »

Its a good idea - But I don't see why they don't do this anyhow? Just because your a guardsmen doesn't mean you can't do anything else!

Averion
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 04:46:14 pm »

Errr, Averions been in the army for, well, four months now. That count as veteran? If so, great idea mate!
Erik Arkay/Evinyatar
Banned for profanity on command forums
Cove Command
Covian Legend

I worship Cabbage

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 04:59:13 pm »

Veteran? VETERAN? He's nothing but a wee little baby compared to the likes of Eason and Hrothgar! Then agean....Hrothgar must be what, 456565643 years of age now? (I kid, my friend, I kid!)

Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 05:21:41 pm »

Veterans maybe like +2 years?

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 05:52:15 pm »

So... *GASPAGE* I'm a veteran!

But that the veteran guards become churchies might be an idea (a choice, of course). Makes the Church stronger.
Octiovus
Grandmaster tyrant.
Administrator
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 06:35:46 pm »

Its a good idea - But I don't see why they don't do this anyhow? Just because your a guardsmen doesn't mean you can't do anything else!

I'm inclined to agree here; no-one is stopping them setting up a side business or enforcing the church if they want to. It's always a bit of a difficult task to make the guild interesting for those very old players, so to some degree the player has to make it interesting for him or herself. Having said all this, I can't see Tiberius selling much! Perhaps his own brand of ale.. *Ponders*

Vince Valentine BoC (01:26) :
Don't mock me! I get 10% discount at tescos!
Gregor Eason
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 06:50:42 pm »

Pretty much sums it up.

Delcarakdur
One-handed and one-eyed Elf
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Mess with Delc and he will wack you with his stump

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 07:10:39 pm »

I think the point here is that the veterans don't really have a clear choice...I'm thinking we may seem a bit forced into only the role as a guardsman...Not also has a citizen (in the least)...

Octie:
This thread has reached the pinnacle of its usefulness. We've established Kas is a hippy. Thread locked.
Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 07:13:51 pm »

Exactly! If we wanted to role play as guards, we would join a militia or a military guild.

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Gregor Eason
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 07:18:40 pm »

Yeah, but it can't be helped really.
I know Grd hit this wall donks back, and they created the Nobility System, which gave their veteran characters something to aspire to. And I suppose BoC Command could churn something up, but ultimately its down to the initiative of the character/player to create something new and enjoyable for the Community, and him/herself.

Grief did it.
Me t'inks it is something to do with being bald.
*Frowns*

Ahah! Yes!
Upon reaching the heights of the Covian ranks, one must then begin their journey through the Art of Jig Fu! Mastering the various stances, of which their origin lie in dark and sinister parts of Britannia, and beyond!  Kiss

Conan Darkmoon
Dead
Covian Legend

Grenadier of Cove, Protector of the Baron..

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 08:41:12 pm »

Very good idea.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length