Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:08:45 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  Command Boards
| |-+  Archived boards
| | |-+  Covian Navy (Moderators: Arma Renox, Gregor Eason)
| | | |-+  Curious
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Curious  (Read 7339 times)
Kurt Alimar/Markus
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2007, 03:49:02 pm »

I am curious as too what weapon types the navy uses.
qom_riyadh
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 08:49:06 pm »

Water pistols and bolts with a small bottle filled with water attached.

But seriously, it's a good point.

Water Elementals??
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 09:50:05 pm »

Water elementals would be good.

I'm thinking cutlasses! YARR!
userjosh5368
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 10:39:46 pm »

I think all naval personnel should have either a ranged weapon or magery for marines with(Compulsory) and a side weapon, or something like alchemy for explosive and conflag potions Any how we need applicants before we start thinking abut this stuff!
Where are the Marines!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 01:21:28 pm by Demarian Tel'var » Logged
Garak Nightchill
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 11:34:19 pm »

There are no restrictions for the marines.  Though it is the only squad (scouts aside, and they need hiding/stealth) that takes mages. 
Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 07:22:35 am »

It'd make sense i guess for a good mix in this unit... Ranged fighters for when the rival vessels close on each other then some heavy infantry to storm the enemy ship!

It would be nice to see the "Marines" use cutlasses and possibly axes, polearms and sledgehammers?

It could then work out that especially for any archers that they could have a melee skill too and swap from bow to cutlass etc.? No need for parry? Should fit into most archer templates?

Also perhaps explosive pots and conflag... but keep this restricted to ship to ship combat? We saw how effective it was in the last sea battle. As a Grenadier I would be loath for Marines to have unlimited use of these but for sea battles i think it'd be ok?

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 07:44:00 am »

Maybe use Grenadiers for the explosive pots and conflags and have them onboard at a battle. I think we should try to make each squad as unique as possible, not just a different outfit.

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 07:48:50 am »

Maybe use Grenadiers for the explosive pots and conflags and have them onboard at a battle. I think we should try to make each squad as unique as possible, not just a different outfit.

Indeed! That's why it should be restricted use if no Gren's are available - i definately don't want to lose the Grenadier's identity Wink

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

qom_riyadh
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 08:19:57 am »

Worth to mention that marines should use much lighter armor - imagine a marine dressed up in a heavy platemail armor which falls off the board and must swim...

Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 08:22:54 am »

Worth to mention that marines should use much lighter armor - imagine a marine dressed up in a heavy platemail armor which falls off the board and must swim...

Have you tried swimming in leather? I didn't think so Tongue
If falling off the ship is a problem, they should wear nothing but cloth. As you can't swim in either metal or leather. (Plus, leather is a lot harder to remove once it's wet than metal straps)

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
qom_riyadh
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 08:27:47 am »

Yeah, no armor at all would be best, but it would suck in matter of fights, so I think some light leather armor would be better than metal ones or no armor at all.
Conan Darkmoon
Dead
Covian Legend

Grenadier of Cove, Protector of the Baron..

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 12:26:11 am »

Agreed.
Kurt Alimar/Markus
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 03:52:34 pm »

Yeh I agree with Conan's agreement.  If you take away the uniqueness of a squad, then what point would there be to join one?  Grenadiers should be the only ones to operate with explosions, and could give them a role on sea.
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 01:09:16 pm »

When aboard ship the Grenadier could be refered to in "navy lingo" as a Cannoneer

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Hrothgar
Played by a Icelandic banker
Cove Command
Covian Legend

The Old One

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2007, 03:18:41 pm »

The grenadiers identity is that they are the Baron's unit of Bodyguard, considered elite fighting men that the Baron has trusted with his life. Not some fancy potions they can toss, and it would make far more sence for the Navy to use these potions and roleplay it out as cannons onboard the ships.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length