Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:29:34 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  The call for more realistic Duels.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The call for more realistic Duels.  (Read 2839 times)
Conan Darkmoon
Dead
Covian Legend

Grenadier of Cove, Protector of the Baron..

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2007, 06:52:06 am »

I was thinking that perhaps the next time two characters duel, out of spite or hate and not training the loser should receive a nasty wound of his/her choosing.  IE: Arm slashed open, Ankle Broken"By a mace", arrow through the torso.  Just thought that it would add a little more realism to the game.  Remember, you're characters are only invincible because you make them invincible.  What do you all think?
Celuvian
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

I bring the Haap..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 08:55:54 am »

As long as my head dont get chopped off...sure! Smiley
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 09:46:24 am »

arrow through the torso.

Reminds me of when I saw people getting shot with arrows in Trinsy as punishment. An arrow through the torso very well might kill you.
Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:52:08 am »

Better yet, use dices and base your injury on how high you score.

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 10:09:48 am »

Better yet, use dices and base your injury on how high you score.

Singular: Die
Plural: Dice
Bwahahaha! *Veldrins you*

But what one could do is the two duellants come to an accord on beforehand. But the problem about i.e. breaking an arm, it should last for ages. John Dell broke a leg or something and he was knocked out properly! It's easier to have a scar, get to a hospital or something, get sewn (sp?) up Frankenstein style and RP being careful about it.
Andrew
Covian Guardsman
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 11:11:48 am »

Indeed. John Dell got his ass kicked at the parade drill.
John Dell
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 11:37:44 am »

What does that has to do with anything!?

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

Oct sayeth  (19:47):
We need more Swedes.
Oct sayeth  (19:47):
"I was stabbed."
Oct sayeth (19:47):
"But I will hold this in and carry on."

First Story       --->      Smiley
Second story --->      Undecided
Third Story     --->     Sad
Averion/Gambit/Crystal/Etc
I'm banned
Covian Regular

I hate This Stoopid Thing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 12:38:59 pm »

If this is to implimented, we'll all become Delc's, limbless eejits.

And I don't think Cove needs injured soldiers at this time when war could break out at any time. Surely officers with experience and training would realise "IC" That injuring each other for pride and boasting rights is idiotic and step in.
But, that's up to the personality of officers =D

Girls are like phones. We love to be held, talked too but if you press the wrong button you'll be disconnected! 
It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip 'em the bird.
What you call dog with no legs?
Don't matter what you call him, he ain't gonna come.
Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 12:49:58 pm »

I think you are misunderstanding what Conan is suggesting, I believe he is suggesting that we have temporary injuries, something that we eventually will heal from. Not a lost leg like Shadwell or a lost hand like Delc, but rather an injury. I've played several and it's fun and if you can do it good you can prove that you are a better role player, not pretending to be holy and immortal.

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Conan Darkmoon
Dead
Covian Legend

Grenadier of Cove, Protector of the Baron..

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 04:09:02 pm »

arrow through the torso.

Reminds me of when I saw people getting shot with arrows in Trinsy as punishment. An arrow through the torso very well might kill you.
Yes but not always, it's just incredibly painful.  And my mate jack hit the nail right on the head, the injuries don't have to be permanent.
Maldraedior
Covian Guardsman
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 12:38:26 pm »

What about us that RP wise got immortal characters? ^^^^
Dalamar
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 04:11:01 pm »

If you think realisticly about injures... Every wound you get has incrediple high change to be mortal. In the "era" UO is supposed to be, medieval... wounds would have high change of infection and meaning sure death.
To that arrow trought torso, one small piece of cloth, wood left inside body when you get your wounds sewed (not sure how to write) up would mean you die within month to infection. If the arrow goes through you with some miracle way without causing ANY damage to your inner organs, ex. liver, you might survive. There would still be big question. How to take the arrow off with out killing you. If it damages your organs... you are dead. Not to mention blunt hits you take, causing internal bleeding...

Anyways... Playing getting injured always flavors RP but when you do it, please forget everything about modern medicine... Would like to see people burn wounds to close. I know there is magic but it just feels it's too -easy- way to round things.

Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 04:18:08 pm »

Now, if I got an arrow through my chest that took a sizeable chunk outta my liver, I'd be amazed! But I agree with Dalamar, IC we don't know about bacteria, fungal infections, viruses, archae, viroids, prions or such. In the dark ages, most people had tapeworms. Yuch. RP having a tapeworm!

But if you're wearing armour and fighting with blunt weapons, it could possibly work. Using wooden weapons during training would also be good. Using blunt arrows won't work tbh, bolts are blunt arrows, they're made for punching through armour.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length