Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:30:39 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  Command Boards
| |-+  Archived boards
| | |-+  Covian Navy (Moderators: Arma Renox, Gregor Eason)
| | | |-+  Marine Entry: Desmond Krieger [COMPLETE]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Marine Entry: Desmond Krieger [COMPLETE]  (Read 5598 times)
Arma Renox
Covian Veteran

"What did you say about my hat?!"

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2007, 07:10:05 pm »

« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 07:03:56 pm by Arma Renox » Logged

Arma Renox
Covian Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 02:37:13 pm »

- Attend a Circuit Training Session
- Lead a Circuit Training Session
- Attend a Naval Patrol
- Complete a Supervised Sailing Route

- Slay one Kraken and two Sea Serpents

- Lighthouse Pilgrimage

COMPLETE
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 07:03:45 pm by Arma Renox » Logged

Krieger
Head Beardsman
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

*Rubs beard.*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 12:16:16 am »

Journal Extract - Desmond Frederick Krieger
20:00 GMT, Tuesday, 10 July 2007

Navy Circuit Training

Attendance Roster
- Hoagie Grayner, Dragoon Sergeant
- Arma Renox, Commodore
- Zoie Hayden, Officer Cadet
- Anari, Regular Dragoon
- Desmond Krieger, Junior Guardsman (Leading)
- Baraz, Guardsman Recruit

As part of my trials for entry into the Baron’s Navy, I was tasked with leading a circuit training – a training which can be, essentially, anything you understand it to mean, providing it has some relevance regarding the navy. Taking a slightly different approach from the Commodore, who effectively simulated a drunken rum-filled scrap at sea, this revolved around regular tasks that must be completed while out at sea that are important in maintaining a naval vessel, integrated with land-based tasks to keep the session productive for the land rats!

The crew gathered at the docks on the pier – our ‘ship’ – and took a dip into the water for a paddle around the pier as part of their warm-up. A couple of guardsmen who did enter the water made a palaver over nought – a few splashes at most – while several others dared not enter the water at all! The first swim was something of a shambles – getting wet seemed to come as a shock to one or two – so the exercise was repeated a second time, and performed admirably, with even myself getting my beard wet.

Following this most invigorating dip, I simulated the demanding work that is required in arming a ship in a frantic battle on rough seas in the darkness of night. With several water pitchers at hand, the pier was flooded as is common upon the deck of a ship on the choppy waters, and all lights were extinguished. At that, my four remaining attendants who hadn’t thrown in the towel - as a number of other gutless louts others had done - in the face of harsh naval toil, began heaving sacks and satchels equal in weight to those with ammunitions or ship armaments from one end of the pier to the other, and back again. The Commodore was clearly the victor, obviously with knowledge in the exertions of a marine.

The final undertaking the attendants had to carry out involved repairs to our ship. Hit some reefs, so we had, and water was seeping in by the gallon! To keep our land rats occupied with something they would find themselves more suited to, the crew had to gather some wood, hides, and anything else they saw fit to make the repairs, and once having gathered such, carry out the maintenance in a limited amount of time before we’d be finding ourselves deep below the waves! Though I found debris such as sewing kits and hats among the work, they did in fact look robust enough to at least hold long enough until port was reached. Nay much further. And that’s supposing port was in very, very close proximity. Aye, it had better be.

D. Krieger,
Junior Guardsman

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 11:14:25 am by Krieger » Logged

Krieger
Head Beardsman
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

*Rubs beard.*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 12:29:14 pm »

Journal Extract – Desmond Frederick Krieger
Monday, 9th July 2007

Pilgrimage Preparations

Sat at the administration desk at the Admiralty Head Quarters, I read over my entry requirements for becoming a respectable marine. Foreseeing a prolonged journey to the lighthouse the Commodore had spoke of, I made my way to the provisioner in Cove to gather supplies – including abundance of rum.

Along the way, I bumped into a band of Covians, whom I asked if they could refer me to a skilled cartographer, who would, I had hoped, reveal an entrance into the Lost Lands. I was met with blank faces and little help, and so carried on into Cove where I acquired rations, rum, and a sackful of torches which would be lit upon the lighthouse far into my pilgrimage.

On my return to the Head Quarters, I visited the tavern where I, of course, had a quick rum with several comrades, and pinned up a notice stating that a cartographer’s services were required. My call was answered relatively quickly, with a Baronship citizen, Axiana, producing a detailed map showing two entrances to the Lost Lands – one located north-west of Minoc through the steppes; the other in Maginica. She made a point of warning me the former was gravely dangerous and the latter relatively safe, and I shall adjust my route accordingly – take the former, I should imagine!

With supplies gathered and maps received, I’m now more than ready for the expedition. When an opportunity arises, I shall set off swiftly and return as soon as possible.

D. Krieger,
Junior Guardsman
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 04:12:08 pm by Krieger » Logged

Arma Renox
Covian Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 12:39:12 pm »

Excellent work Des!

Krieger
Head Beardsman
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

*Rubs beard.*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 12:35:34 am »

Tuesday, 10th July 2007

Journeying to the Lost Lands

With preparations having been made two days previously, I had everything I needed to see myself safely into the Lost Lands, through to the lighthouse, and back home to Cove. I had my map, my grub, my bedroll, and most importantly – my rum. Putting on my travel hat, I scooped up my satchel and off I popped, down the stairs and out the door, through the forest and onto the road. Off on a gallivant I went, so I did, following the road towards the Vesper crossroads and from there, on to Minoc. On several occasions I heard trouble amongst the trees, and at one point I was jumped by an ogre. – one of great likeness to the Commodore, I say. After knocking it to the ground, I carried on to the crossroads where I followed the signposts north.  

Not much further along the path from the crossroads, I encountered a decent sized chicken. Having little more than is just enough to sustain a bearded man like myself, I decided to take it along with me and enjoy it for my supper. It nay seemed to mind either, quite happily sitting under my arm as a whisked it away. As I neared Minoc, I happened to encounter another chicken; after a ponderous moment, it seemed like a good idea to lug it along with me as well - never do ye know when a chicken might be of use!

Many fond memories flooded back as I wandered through the gypsy camp – memories of the glorious Minoc Liberation Campaign. Memories of charging the Yewish line time after time; memories of standing firm in our own ranks as the Yewmen charged our own line; memories of chasing the gutless Yewish deserters who fled the field of battle as we emerged the dominant force; memories of ... how I still haven’t received my Campaign Merit Badge. Regardless, I battled onwards like the bearded soldier that I am.

I moseyed through the city, and dawdled into the steppes, and eventually, at some time or another, I reached the cave marked clearly on the map given to me by Axiana. Whether or not it led to the Lost Lands, I didn’t know, but my grumbling belly and desire for a rum overwhelmed my curiosity to find out. Noticing a sign outside, reading, “No Pets Permitted Through This Cave!”, I knew it were time to part with my beloved roosters. Or turkeys. Or whatever they were. But by the look in their intelligent eyes, I knew they wanted what were best for me. So I wrung their necks and plucked their feathers, ready for them to be cooked. They know they served their purpose in life, oh aye, I bet they do.

Placing the two little critters onto the ground, I went off to get some firewood. With an abundance of trees in the northern steppes, I was spoilt for choice and got me myself kindling aplenty. However, starting the fire was the problem. I tried and tried with my two rocks, bashing them together creating spark after spark, but had no success, I hadn’t! So, resorting to the ... conventional method, I just threw in a conflagration potion. And that was where the success lay!

Hence, I cooked a chicken, devoured it promptly, had myself a rum, and sat there for a time looking on at Minoc town in the distance, before entering the deep, dark cave.

D. Krieger,
Junior Guardsman

« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:52:44 pm by Krieger » Logged

Krieger
Head Beardsman
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

*Rubs beard.*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 11:30:41 pm »

Tuesday, 10th July 2007

Navigating the Lost Lands

But of course, enter the cave I had to, and so, I held onto my hat, shielded my beard, and dashed inside. There was a short passageway to follow which was relatively light at first, but as I ventured further in, it grew considerably darker to the point that I couldn’t see without lighting a torch. After a short, downward, winding path, there was a breach in the wall, and to my astonishment, it led out into the Lost Lands! I can’t say I actually believed they existed; but there I stood, in the middle of nowhere, being pursued by some flightless bird looking creature. I had found the Lost Lands!

As soon as it lost me, I took that first opportunity to arm myself for combat – already I had been attacked, and I nay knew what other perils I was to face. Carrying on, I followed several valleys, a number of broken pathways, rivers, landmarks, and forest trails. In due course I stumbled upon an old looking bridge, from which there was a clear road that led to a curious sculpture. Clearly a sign of civilisation, I thought, so onward I hurried, much in need of a rum and a seat to rest these tired legs.

Right, so I was; soon enough I reached a small village appearing to be of unusual culture. Attractive though it was, in any case, I approached the first man I saw and asked that he direct me to the tavern. False directions though, they were, and consequently I found myself just exploring and investigating every building I passed, until finally, at long last, the glorious wine and grape tavern sign caught my eye. Scurried over, so I did, and grabbed the first available seat with my rum already in hand. It was a fine place it was – made me think of retirement – but its quiet, desolate, lonely atmosphere wouldn’t suit a sociable beardsman such as me.

Upon finishing my rum, I continued, and just off the village boundaries I came to a rickety wooden bridge over a large, deep canyon, leading to the foot of the volcano and outskirts of the desert Axiana back home in Cove had spoken of. Retrieving my bedroll and starting another fire – this time successfully, without the use of a conflagration – I lay down my weary head and closed my heavy eyes, and rested soundly for the remainder of the night.

Wednesday, 11th July 2007

The Lighthouse and The Beard

At daybreak, however, off I went once more. Had to face the harsh desert, so I did, in the sweltering heat and ruthless sandstorms. Many a beast I had to battle, from wee little imps and scorpions to thundering wyverns. Of course, easy game were they for a prospective marine, ploughing through them like a beardsman should. Slew many more than five wyverns, I did – nay doubt – but of the five that were required I took with me their hides. A grave thing, that was, forcing me to abandon even my rum stock! But for Cove, it had to be done – for I brought back a vast yardage of leather that would make fine uniforms for the scouts.

After enduring the desert, killing some wyverns, gathering their hides, and losing my rum, I, at last, reached the almighty lighthouse with its bright light still shining avidly. But, as ye would expect in a story such as this, trouble was still at hand! As soon as I opened the large double doors into the lighthouse building, I was, once more, set upon by but two more of those beastly wyverns. Of course, flee I did nay, as I battled it out one last time. At their defeat, I hastily made my way up on to the roof, where the torches would be lit in respect of all those who sail the seas. One by one, I placed them all around, and one by one, I lit them with pride.

And with that, my task in the Lost Lands was complete - wyverns slain and light sources lit; I had done my duty. Nay wasting any time, I placed my travel hat back upon my head, painfully ran past all my rum, and made my way back to home. An easier journey than it was getting there, it were, and before long I was back in the warmth and comfort of the Admiralty Head Quarters. The excitement was nay over yet, however, for a revelation was in store for me – undoubtedly the best thing to come out of my several-day lasting pilgrimage! I had a bigger beard! A better one!

D. Krieger,
Junior Guardsman

Arma Renox
Covian Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 10:23:15 am »

A fine report Krieger; a true show of determination, endurance and combat ability. We'll make a Marine out of you yet!

Krieger
Head Beardsman
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

*Rubs beard.*

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 01:16:04 am »

15:00 GMT, Thursday, 12th July 2007

The Naval Patrol

Though the original intention was for myself to attend a naval patrol aboard a ship as part of the Commodore’s crew, securing the safety of Cove’s surrounding waters, we were forced to perform a shore patrol instead – nay any less important than a patrol out at sea, with danger onshore affecting Cove’s inhabitants just as danger offshore affects Cove’s shipping – due to the fact that the only ship currently in commission is the Battleborn – the flagship – which of course can not just be sailed out of port willy-nilly, nor be commandeered with a mere two crew members anyway.

It nay took us long afore we stumbled upon a serpent of the seas, terrorising the shores as they are known for only too well. Stood firm at the shores, we did, yelling our war cries and luring it in, ready to strike at the optimum moment. And strike we did, time after time, until nay longer could it withstand our assault as it slumped back into the waters in a lifeless heap. ‘Twas not the last time we battled either, for further along the shore, some way behind the barracks, a troll we saw and slew, and yet further still, an ettin, and likewise, a harpy. Clearly, it were a good idea to patrol when we did.

With that fourth and final incident, we continued along the shore towards Cove gates, scanning the waters for threats – of which there were none. Through we went, and marched towards the docks, where the mast of the Battleborn stood tall and prominent. Naturally, we saluted the vessel, after ensuring all was safe and well. To conclude this important part of my trials, the Commodore ordered that I sit atop the Admiralty Head Quarters upon the watch post, and keep a vigilant eye on the harbour for a full three-hour period. Of course, follow my orders I did, striving to show the discipline and restraint that is expected of a Covian Marine.

The waters were clear, with nay apparent danger, and so I retreated down to my desk.

D. Krieger,
Junior Guardsman

Arma Renox
Covian Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 10:46:12 am »

You're making fine progress Des!

Krieger
Head Beardsman
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

*Rubs beard.*

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 06:12:45 pm »

18:00 GMT, Thursday, 12th July 2007

A Slaying of Sea Beasts

Attendance Roster
- Hoagie Grayner, Dragoon Sergeant
- John Dell, Junior Guardsman
- Desmond Krieger, Junior Guardsman (Leading)
- Dimman, Watchman
- Alfrik Redwood, Guardsman Recruit

To display my mettle against the creatures of the deep, nay excluding the dreaded kraken, the Commodore had ordered that I slay the aforementioned beast, with two sea serpents to boot, in the underground lakes of the dungeon Shame. Rallying the troops at the barracks, there was only a half-decent show of guardsmen, but enough regardless for us to withstand the onslaught we were predestined to face at the hand tentacles of the kraken. After addressing the troops, and giving a good amount of encouragement to the John Dell about using means of magical travel, we arrived at the colossal rupture in the mountain’s cliff edge that was the entrance into the caves.

Through the first handful of tunnels, there was little indication of a presence of lakes or fiendish sea creatures, as opposing creatures such as earth elementals and scorpions – creatures that are nay associated with the water – assaulted our troupe. We ploughed through them, looting as we went, and eventually did indeed reach a bridge over a body of water, which seemed undisturbed. However, deeper into the caverns, we arrived at large shores on looking rough waters which harboured many a sea creature – including a kraken. With it came only a water elemental – a common sight in Cove – but nay serpents did we see for a long while. We slew the kraken, hoping it were the last we’d see, but much to our disbelief, another soared towards us just above the surface, and another, and another after that. A total of five krakens we slaughtered this day, in good demonstration of the soldiers’ capability.

Though it took our company a lengthy amount of time to locate a serpent, the time did come, and straight at it we charged, swinging our axes, maces and swords in a powerful assault. With it came our fifth and final kraken, and flanked, so we were, by both a water and air elementals. Struggle through it, we did, and onward we went, scouring the shorelines of the lakes, ridding them of such foul beings. With the first slaying of a serpent, an armada then seemed to appear, with six others preying upon us, only to be sent back to the depths.

We continued on into the dungeon, taking on much tougher beasts the deeper we went, until we had taken a wytch stronghold, and cleansed it of the sinners. Upon reaching the final room in the ghastly place, where the Archmage himself had taken refuge, we cleared it speedily and teleported back to the barracks.

A successful hunt it had been, with a good service done for all those who sail the waters.

D. Krieger,
Junior Guardsman

Krieger
Head Beardsman
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

*Rubs beard.*

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 06:46:39 pm »

11:00 GMT, Sunday, 15th July 2007

A Budding Helmsman

With my Navy trials coming to an end, the final task I had to complete was a supervised naval patrol, during which I was stationed at the helm, with the Commodore observing at the bow. The vessel’s construction had only just been completed, and when I boarded, it were still anchored safely before the shipyard. As such, I was the first sailor to commandeer it, and an honour it was too. Nerve wracking, there’s nay doubt about that, but returned it back safely, I did. After a minor adjustment to the rigging, we were agreed that everything was indeed shipshape, as ye say, and so I unreeled the sails, manoeuvred the ship, and off we went, riding the waves.

My first time at the helm of a ship, it were, and a while it took to familiarise myself with the workings of steering a ship. However, run us into some reefs, I did nay, and of course, that is priority number one. My target was to sail us safely into open water, well clear of the inlet at the end of which the shipyard had been built. Though, before we had even cleared the bay, we were set upon by both water elementals and sea serpents in considerable force. Tried to send us down into the depths, they did, but of course, failed feebly as we defended our vessel, the Commodore and I. By the time we had secured the safety of the Baron’s waters, many a chunk of remains could be found upon top deck. But hinder our progress, of course, none of this did nay, and passed the docks we did as I sailed round and past Mount Glenmore. This was where our sail ended, however, as we on looked the orc stronghold with resentment.

Disheartened at the end of my first glorious voyage, I steered the ship back round and sailed us to Cove docks. Anchored there was the magnificent H.B.S. Battleborn in all her grandeur, the first and finest ship commissioned by the Covian Navy. Stationed our own vessel with sufficient skill and accuracy, as I hope the Commodore would agree, I did, and we disembarked onto the pier. With that, I was dismissed, and ordered to request docking permission from the Harbourmaster. Preoccupied, he seemed, and uninterested in my query, though docking permission I did receive, and so I notified the Commodore.

Excellent work I had done, I was told, and before long, I would be wearing my navy arms!

D. Krieger,
Junior Guardsman

Arma Renox
Covian Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 07:03:17 pm »

Bravo Des! Yer trials are complete!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length