Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:34:55 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  In Character Boards
| |-+  In Character Board (Moderators: Hoagie, Raiden Morana)
| | |-+  Recruit Task ~ Leander Le Blanc
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Recruit Task ~ Leander Le Blanc  (Read 5043 times)
Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2009, 03:17:53 pm »

Dear Leander,

I write to you for two reasons. The first is to say how glad I am to have yet another Arcanist among the ranks of Cove, s'truly a glorious time to be in the Baronship. The second reason is of a little more importance since it concerns progression towards your trials. As you may or may not know the recruits that don't immediately get consumed by trolls often end up getting promoted.

However....

In order to do so they must first prove they are worthy of bearing our insignia. Mercy and I have set you some tasks to achieve that end, please see the attached document.

Task Valentine
Travel to the City of Wind, Arcane heart of Britannia, and display your grasp of spellcasting by locating the hidden park and retrieving the essence from one of the elementals that guard it.

• You must take at least one other Arcanist with you.
  • Since times are rough, please secure the sum of fifteen thousand coins for the coffers.
  • A report with sketches should be pinned to this letter upon completion.
  • Please note that only an Arcanist of expert capacity or higher will be granted entrance to the city. If this is a problem do not hesitate to get in touch.

Task Mercy
Take a stroll around the realm and gather any herbs you find. Once you have a healthy selection submit a short essay on their various types and uses.

• You may complete this task alone but by all means take a friend.
  • You must provide sketches of your gathering.
  • As with the first task your essay may be pinned to this letter.
  • Your essay must be in your own words, consulting scholars on the subject is absolutely forbidden.

We trust in your ability to succeed with this work Leander but if you have any concerns, any concerns at all, please do not be afraid to voice them.

S'get you to Mercenary eh eh....?

The signature appears and disappears depending on the angle of the parchment,
Company Arcanist Kas Valentine.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 03:26:17 pm by Kas Valentine » Logged

Linaeus
Cove Command
Covian Legend

Not the Commander.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 02:34:31 am »

*Scrabbled at the bottom, along with some sketches*

Now wheres that report, Leblah!?

- Abby Keres

Torrak: As far as I'm concerned, though, EA is just unauthorized modding BoC.
Leander
Arcanist
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

Le BLAAAAH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:35:58 am »

Dear Kas,

First, I must apologize for my tardiness in the creation of this report, The Iharess' blade pierced my hand the night before last, and though I flushed the poison out, it hath been agonizing to set quill to parchment for too long.

Appreciative I am,
Leander

Attached: Report - Essence Entrapped

In Command:
Leander Le Blanc, Mercenary Recruit

Report and sketches composed by:

Present within the Company:
Kas Valentine, Company Arcanist
Abigail Keres, Mercenary Recruit
Leader Le Blanc, Mercenary Recruit

This task took place on the 26th of February as the evening turned to dusk.

The intention was to venture into the city of Wind and find the park entrance. Once inside, we had to wield magic both offensively and defensively in order to capture a sampling of the essence that was being guarded by the acid elementals. The sum of fifteen thousand monetary coins also had to be obtained for the coffers.

As it seemed the appropriate method of transportation for three Arcanists traveling to Wind, we all leaped through a magical gate conjured by Kas. No sooner hath I tumbled through the gate, did I realize my fist mistake. I needed more plants for spell casting. I quickly recalled to Cove bank, where I snatched some herbs up for myself and a few extra for Abi. Plants in hand, I departed for Wind a second time!

We arrived at the mountain pass. Two imperious marble statues were clinging steadfast to javelins. These statues were obviously enchanted and seemed to be standing guard o'er the marble walls that encased the entrance. As I stepped onto the center of the pentagram, I bit my lip, half expecting to hear that mystifying voice that sang to me when I was a lad “You are not worthy of entrance to the city of Wind!” But Lo', a gleeful moment later I was standing inside the tunnel that led to the elite city. Right behind me stood Kas and Abi, awaiting my orders. I was a little uncomfortable giving commands at first, especially to a superior, but eventually I loosened up and got a little more comfortable in my own skin.

Around the bend we found a few liches lurking in the mist and twilight. I couldn't help but think the city Wind seemed a little slack in it's morals. Its laws were seemingly allowing what were doubtlessly once powerful magicians to go on living in their city through such unnatural means. The whole ordeal wreaked of the Guardian. I have always been told Wind holds no allegiance and is a neutral city, but it shocks me the Mages would permit such evil to walk free. It was time these Undead were laid to rest.  We set the animated corpses aflame one after the other, ending their 'immortality' doubtlessly much sooner than they expected. Some of these liches hit us hard, but as a child of the Avatar I trusted in Him. Between the three of us we had the power and faith to vanquish this demonic filth. Before long all of the darkness hath been cast out. We leaned down and pulled a generous amount of coins from each the festering carcasses.

It was time to make haste. We cut through the city itself, double time. We even showed off our Arcanist skills by making use of the teleport spell to inscrease our speed. Though I am an Arcanist myself, I must confess I was a little uneasy by the grandeur of the unreasonably costly architecture in the city. It was most peculiar looking into the jeweled eyes of a thousand magi that inhabited Wind. They bustled around the city, performing even the most basic of daily tasks through magical methods.

As we passed the inn the beds looked so comfy, and I so badly wanted to set my spine to those feathers, but I knew we had to move onward.

Upon descending a marble staircase, we came to a nest that was swarming with drakes. Working together, we took them down. Not but fifty paces later we came to a grove littered with foul smelling daemons. We sent devil after devil back into the abyss, but their numbers increased with every creature we slaughtered.

With a nudge in the right direction from Kas, I managed to lead my fellow Arcanists to the park entrance. The moment we stepped onto the teleporter, a pack of gargoyles flew at us ferociously. They flung a few weak spells at us, but they were quickly bested. Once I had the chance to take in my surroundings, I was awestruck. I couldn't believe such flora could grow underground! We proceeded into the woods and down the dell, where we were met with more imps, stone gargoyles, and acid elementals. In the lake in the center of the park an ugly Kraken tried to grab at us with it's deadly tentacles. No doubt a beast that size hath sunk its fair share of ships and sailors, and in a few moments it was sinking into the briney lake to join them.

When the path was clear Kas nudged me, and I ran ahead and scooped up, into an empty bottle, an acid sample from the elemental corpse. The acid ate right through my armor! I shook my hands out of my gloves as fast as I could. Luckily, I packed an extra pair in my rucksack and quickly slid them on. I discarded what was left of my old gloves on the ground, the acid continued to consume them and I saw them wilt into nothing right before mine eyes. I pocketed the essence for further study. Now that we had obtained the trapped sample it was time to get back to Cove, but the gargoyles and imps wanted us dead for our intrusion! We magic'ed our way through to the nearest exit.

While things went swimmingly during this mission, and the objective was completed, I need to work on being a more proactive leader. I thank His Holiness the Avatar that I had such camaraderie present in the company, or I would have surely perished in Wind without their help and guidance.

I was glad to be home. Back at the Barracks I dismissed Abi and Kas. By popular vote of the company  we volunteered Abi to lug the sixteen thousand gold pieces up to the coffers. She complained that it was heavy, so Kas generously divided it into neat little piles for her. Wind is a nice place to visit, but it is nay Cove!

Wind to thy wings!

*Signed in twirly cursive*

Leander Le Blanc,

Mercenary Recruit

Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 11:12:16 am »

Excellent report recruit.

Keep up the good work!

*signed*

Raiden, Commander.

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 02:05:42 pm »

You have captured the essence of both the elemental and the adventure !

Good show Leander, your task is proceeding beautifully.

A signature is cut into the page leaving a scorched outline,

Leander
Arcanist
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

Le BLAAAAH

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 07:39:05 pm »

Dear Mercy,

Here is my report! My sketches are included in the bound copy of my manuscript.

[Report: Magic Herbs]

When: The First of March
Where: All over Britannia

In Command: Leander Le Blanc, Mercenary Recruit

Present in the company:
Abigail Keres, Mercenary Recruit
Nora Grimsby, Mercenary Recruit

The purpose of this task was to travel around the realm and compose original scholarship on various herbs that were happened upon.

*Signed with a flourish*

Leander
Arcanist
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

Le BLAAAAH

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 07:39:31 pm »

A Discourse on Indispensable Magical Fungi and Herbs

by Leander Le Blanc

Forward
I hath traveled Sosaria doing fieldwork and research. Upon completion I hath compiled a reference guide for Alchemists and Arcanists based on the magykal herbs and fungi I discovered in my travels.

The Authoritative Spellbook is the standard sixty-four spell eight circle edition found in wytch shops across Britannia and is the book referred to herein. Remember that this is the only book approved for branded Arcanists in the Company by the Northern Chapter. The plants described in these leaves are nay to be used by anyone without a branding.

Let it beknownst that his excellency Lord Octiovus Von Richter, Baron of Cove, to whom this book is dedicated, is a most rare man in our times. For he is magnanimous, devout, full of goodness, talent, prudence, and courtesy. He is truly a lover of honor and worth, thus so deserving of his people's praise.

And above all else, I beg thee, the Covian reader, to go to monasteries, churches, and shrines, and pray to our Lord. May ye remember your branding when ye use these plants spokyn of herein. And if ye have no branding, may ye be burned at the stake until death.

Lament Avatar's losse, his labor, and his payne, for Avatar is the muse who singeth inside me and moveth my poet's pen.

Black Pearl: This is a dark tinted pearl that can be found in the plains or in the forest. Little is known about this mysterious reagent's origin. It's alchemical purpose is refreshment. Though it can oft be useful in combat and attack related spells, it is used primarily in spells that involve traveling such as “Kal Ort Por” and “Vas Rel Por.” Perhaps this magical ingredient has a bit of locomotion itself, which accounts for how an object seemingly created inside of oysters and mollusks tends to surface in areas that are sometimes no where near the sea.

Crafts of Wytchery, in order of appearance, as seen in the Authoritative Spellbook.

Fireball
Fire Field
Mana Drain
Recall
Blade Spirits
Dispel Field
Mind Blast
Poison Field
Energy Bolt
Mark
Paralyze Field
Chain Lightening
Energy Field
Gate Travel
Mana Vampire
Mass Dispel
Energy Vortex

Blood Moss: Do nay be fooled by this reagent's name, for it is, in actuality, not a moss but a fungus. It can be found growing in the deep forest. Search stumps, fallen trees, damp bark, and mossy areas. It may also be located in swamps, bogs, marshlands, and wetlands. It is the fungus of progression and mobility. Naturally, it is key in creating the potion of agility. Further, it is oft used in spells where one's speed or ability to move is affected.

Crafts of Wytchery, in order of appearance, as seen within the Authoritative Spellbook.

Clumsiness
Agility
Magic
Untrap
Magic Lock
Telekinesis
Teleport
Unlock
Wall of Stone
Recall
Incognito
Summon Creature
Explosion
Invisibility, Mark
Reveal Hidden
Chain Lightening
Mana Vampire
Meteor Swarm
Polymorph

Dead Wood: Its etymology is likely linked to the fact that it comes from the Reaper, which are moving trees capable of wytchery. It looks suspiciously phallic.

Dead Wood is nay used in wytchery contained within the Authoritative Spellbook.

Executioner's Cap: Like its name, this fleshy spore bearing fungus is shaped like the hat of an executioner. This particular Executioner's Cap I found in the possession of a beast, though I imagine it must grow in a damp and wooded glen somewhere. Do nay eat, also relevant to the etymology of it's name is the fact that Executioner's Cap is highly toxic!

This toadstool is rumored to have magical properties, and it can certainly be used in rituals, however it is nay required for any spells in the Authoritative Spellbook.

Fertile Dirt: I found this on an earth elemental. I nay know what spells could be wrought with this, but its agricultural properties are phenomenal.

Fertile Dirt is nay used in wytchery contained within the Authoritative Spellbook.

Garlic: As savory in magical arts as it is in culinary arts, garlic is the very essence of an arcanist's protection.  Its alchemical use is to cure poison. In magical use it is required in spells of healing, protection, warding, and dispelling evil. Remember to peel and grind the bulbs to release its nutrients.

Crafts of Wytchery, in order of appearance, as seen within the Authoritative Spellbook.

Create Food
Heal
Reactive Armor
Weaken
Cure
Magic Trap
Protection
Bless
Magic Lock
Wall of Stone
Arch Cure
Arch Protection
Curse
Greater Heal
Dispel Field
Incognito
Magic Reflection
Paralyze
Dispel
Mass Curse
Mass Dispel
Resurrection

Ginseng: This root flowers and blooms upon maturity. Ginseng is most useful in healing spells. It grows in grasses wherever fleshy roots are present. It's also good for increasing energy, which explains why you might find it brewed in special teas or used in spells that enhance ones abilities. The Alchemist knows to use this root in his healing potions. Despite its bitter taste, all healers insist on using Ginseng as a traditional medicine.

Cure
Protection
Arch Cure
Arch Protection
Greater Heal
Paralyze Field
Earthquake
Resurrection

Mandrake root: As it matures a green plant grows out of it's head. It is a hallucination. Peculiar in appearance, it looks almost like a gnarled and treeish human infant. Popular myth states that if dug and uprooted unceremoniously from the ground, the mandrake will scream and kill all that hear its cry. While I have yet to see any evidence of such a tale, my suggestion to the magic user is to exercise caution and to only collect mandrakes that have surfaced on the forest floor or top layer of a swamp. Nay tunnel into the soil of Sosaria  in search of them. From the Mandrake, an Alchemist can make a potion of strength. The Mandrake is used chiefly in power and strength magic.

Create Food
Agility
Cunning
Strength
Bless
Telekinesis
Teleport
Arch Cure
Arch Protection
Greater Heal
Lightening
Mana Drain
Recall
Blade Spirits
Magic Reflection
Mind Blast
Paralyze
Summon Creature
Dispel
Explosion
Mark
Mass Curse
Chain Lightening
Energy Field
Gate Travel
Mana Vampire
Mass Dispel
Meteor Swarm
Polymorph
Earthquake
Energy Vortex
Summon Air Elemental
Summon Daemon
Summon Earth Elemental
Summon Fire Elemental
Summon Water Elemental

Nightshade: This is a flowering and highly toxic plant. The buds on this plant only open up in the darkness. It grows in shady and swampy areas. Despite it's extreme toxicity (I always wear my gloves while picking or handling this reagent) it is extremely useful in spell casting. Those who dabble in the art of poisoning and poison concoction will certainly want to keep Nightshade on hand. I have heard of some people collecting the fresh leaves of this plant up and using them for snuffing, chewing, or smoking, talk about a bad habit! Its use as a recreational drug is questionable, but its magical use is undeniable. Any spell having to do with death, poison, or illusions will almost certainly require deadly Nightshade.

Clumsy
Feeblemind
Weaken
Cunning
Harm
Strength
Poison
Curse
Blade Spirits
Incognito
Mind Blast
Poison Field
Energy Bolt
Invisibility
Mass Curse
Energy Vortex

Orange Petal: These petals will protect whoever eats them from most poisons for a limited time.

Petal of the Rose of Trinsic: These petals increase the strength of whoever eats them.

Spider's Silk: This can be found growing on the stones of graveyards, dank caves, dark forests, the carcasses and webs of giant spiders, or wherever filthy Drow live. Spiders silk is an essential, albeit regrettable, magical reagent. In alchemy spider's silk creates a potion that gives one the ability to see through the darkness. In magic it is frequently found in binding spells and most importantly spells that summon fourth creatures that can act as protectors.

Heal
Nightsight
Reactive Armor
Harm
Magic Trap
Fire Field
Greater Heal
Mana Drain
Dispel Field
Magic Reflection
Paralyze
Poison Field
Summon Creature
Paralyze Field
Energy Field
Flamestrike
Mana Vampire
Meteor Swarm
Polymorph
Summon Air Elemental
Summon Daemon
Summon Earth Elemental
Summon Fire Elemental
Summon Water Elemental

Sulphurous Ash: These ashes can be found scattered throughout the lands of Britannia, no doubt the product of volcanic disturbances from prehistoric times. An alchemist that wishes to defend himself will always have a supply of this handy, its consistency makes it easily mixable, and it is the crux of the explosion potion. As is evident by it's fiery color, it is associated with all things explosive. In magic, its uses are chiefly in fire and light related spells.

Magic Arrow
Nightsight
Reactive Armor
Magic Trap
Untrap
Protection
Magic Lock
Magic Unlock
Arch Protection
Curse
Fire Field
Lightening
Dispel Field
Mind Blast
Dispel
Mass Curse
Reveal
Chain Lightening
Energy Field
Flamestrike
Gate Travel
Mass Dispel
Meteor Swarm
Earthquake
Summon Daemon
Summon Fire Elemental

Yew Plant: I stayed away from this one. I got close to it and felt a little sheepish.

The Yew Plant is nay used in wytchery contained within the Authoritative Spellbook.

If applied and used correctly, some of the herbs herein will help balance the four humors. Though nothing relieves the temperament of sanguine quite like a good blood-letting.

Sketches

F I N I S.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:49:39 pm by Leander Le Blanc » Logged

Mercy
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:15:40 pm »

Dear Leander,

This essay is exemplary, well written with a great amount of  detail and thought put into it.  I especially like the way you included some of the lesser known regeants.  A wonderful job, well done.

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:44:04 pm »

Dear Leander,

I can only echo the sentiments expressed by Mercy in regard to your essay on the various herbs of Britannia, a truly beautiful piece of work. The descriptions are clear, concise and injected with a charming amount of personality. All in all I don't think the tasks we set you could have been fulfilled any better, you have gone above and beyond expectation. Glad to have you among our Arcanists Le Blanc, Command will doubtless be pleased with your obvious progress.

A signature shrinks and expands magically at the foot of the page,

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length