Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:04:36 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  Marking of Items
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Marking of Items  (Read 4197 times)
Takeamada
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

Death be for dishonor!!! Long Live the Baron!!!!

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2008, 02:57:28 pm »

I know, your thinking here he goes again!  Oh well if I don’t bring it up who will?  

We do not allow artifacts in armor or weapons, only GM crafted items.  I understand the reason behind this, there is only one Excalibur and it looks funny if you have a couple dozen players running around whacking other players with them!

What I don’t understand is, players work hard to gain the title Grandmaster Blacksmith, Tailor, Carpenter, Underwater basket weaver, etc.  Unless they are scripters and just did it in a few hours, then they don’t count and don’t understand the joy they missed working their gains!  So why is it that when others order arms and armor or other items for the other crafters, they request “Non Marked Items?”  Would you take a chisel to the markings of a Chippendale Desk?  I think not!  Nor do I think Chippendale’s would leave off their mark!  It’s a sense of pride and workman ship!  So next time you place an order for a sword or armor, or even that nice bedside table, you should allow a little pride by the crafter to allow his name to be out there and to be noted!  Besides he or she is a fellow guild member!  

I know it will cut back on the number of items that I make for the guild and players but I plan to start marking all items made by my crafters and ask all my fellow Grandmasters to do the same!  I will still make special orders unmarked, but it will have a higher cost for unmarked items then marked items.  I worked hard to get my crafters to were they are and I think its only fair!

Siegfried
Templar Preceptor
Covian Church
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 03:03:06 pm »

Church characters lead humble lives, and as such do not perform the Lord's work with another man's name ornately inscribed upon their armour. The key to humility is simplicity.

Of course, Church craftsmen need not follow this guideline.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 03:12:26 pm by Siegfried » Logged

Signed

Father Siegfried,
Templar Preceptor

"Amidst the chaos and confusion, only one thing is for certain; no one is safe from the noose!"
Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:05:41 pm »

Mark away I say!

The vast majority of items Amon has crafted for the stores and privately for guild members over the years have been marked. Only on odd occasions have I been asked not to and it may seem logical not to do so for certain orders as Siegfried points out.

But in the main let the craftsmen have some credit! Wink

How else is one supposed to build a reputation! Grin

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Demarian Tel'var
Regular Guardsmen
Baron's Own Grenadier
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:19:46 pm »

By people saying oh he's a carpentar try him! They make great things!, Like S&K, everyones raving about there leather balanced suits or were!

Graem Carcer
Watchman
Covian Veteran

"Parade, Parade Attention!"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 03:26:37 pm »

Sure crafters should take pride in their work! I've tried to start so many and failed because of how hard it was to achieve. With supply-uniforms by all means throw a mark on them, but respect individual requests not to mark armour; I know if I was going to be plodding around in a tokuno dyed suit I won't want some random name plastered on in.

And if it's for a guild member, don't always expect to be paid if it's crafted by a guilded character!
Kelly Sanderson
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

By Jove and Sheeshy McGee!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 04:25:43 pm »

When either myself, Siegfried or Kal have asked for unmarked items, it is no doubt for the Church. I don't mind people's name on clothing or goods as long as it's not a name like "Your mum".

Smiley

John Dell:
My ultimate aim is to nag someone to the brink of total blindness and hate that they kill me.

John Dell:
It's for me like for you and pies; if one is staring you in the face you just can't leave it alone.
Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 06:05:30 pm »

Tawny Cobalt makes his name as a carpenter by doing a poo in any container he crafts.

You never forget him after that, true story. Grin

Takeamada
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 06:26:01 pm »

When either myself, Siegfried or Kal have asked for unmarked items, it is no doubt for the Church. I don't mind people's name on clothing or goods as long as it's not a name like "Your mum".

Smiley

Well if it were my Mum it would say "Irene"   Wink

Takeamada
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 06:28:00 pm »

Church characters lead humble lives, and as such do not perform the Lord's work with another man's name ornately inscribed upon their armour. The key to humility is simplicity.

Hmm is the church looking for one?  Just think, 10% of everything he makes out side the church could be donated to the church!  Just a thought!

Siegfried
Templar Preceptor
Covian Church
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 06:34:58 pm »

Hmm is the church looking for one?  Just think, 10% of everything he makes out side the church could be donated to the church!  Just a thought!

On joining the Church, all Clergy leave behind any wealth or possessions, or donate it to the Church. All funds made by Churchmen should be donated to the Church.

All Clergy members are capable, and are encouraged to learn trade skills in order to benefit the Church; so the Church does not necessarily need a dedicated craftsman.

Signed

Father Siegfried,
Templar Preceptor

"Amidst the chaos and confusion, only one thing is for certain; no one is safe from the noose!"
Takeamada
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 06:46:29 pm »

On joining the Church, all Clergy leave behind any wealth or possessions, or donate it to the Church. All funds made by Churchmen should be donated to the Church.

All Clergy members are capable, and are encouraged to learn trade skills in order to benefit the Church; so the Church does not necessarily need a dedicated craftsman.

So that would be a no!

Delfer
Baron's Own Grenadier
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 07:14:27 pm »

Gah! Too... Many.... Quotes... Geahh... *Dies*

The Adventures of Buttons: Forever Inappropriate

Del - " &^%$$#% Blues..."
Del - " &^%$$#% Bloranges..."
Kelly Sanderson
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

By Jove and Sheeshy McGee!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 03:10:19 pm »

And just to prove my earlier statement, I just came across this 5 minutes ago:

John Dell:
My ultimate aim is to nag someone to the brink of total blindness and hate that they kill me.

John Dell:
It's for me like for you and pies; if one is staring you in the face you just can't leave it alone.
Takeamada
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 03:33:51 pm »

And just to prove my earlier statement, I just came across this 5 minutes ago:

Well if your paying 50,000 for a half apron, your nutts, also if that apron is that good and worth that much!  Then damm skippy the crafters name should be on it proudly!  But yeah, a rose by any other name......

People should think about names before they take them!  just shows a lack of fore thought on thier part!

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 01:10:41 pm »

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with your mum. Grin

ZING !

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length