Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:48:47 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  A quick question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A quick question  (Read 1991 times)
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2009, 02:36:10 pm »

Should we consider people with heavy grammer/spelling mistakes to be speaking with a speech impediment? i mean, Kusghuul mangles grammar and spelling because he's above such this, much like Sigismund, but what if it's unintentional and you're struggling to understand them, i.e. Skarans, some others.
Marcus Kobra
Regular Grenadier
Cove Command
Covian Legend

"Death is certain, When is up to your Medic."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 03:43:02 pm »

In private (meaning yourin the goblin chatting) "Oh aye all thsoe Skarans, always slurring their speech, untaught oafs" Of course yer dont mean it in a RL since and I wouldnt sugest ye throw it in their faces. . .  Its probably bad but when refurrng IC to it then aye I suppose its appropriate.

The Lord hath created medicines out of the earth; and he that is wise will not abhor them.
Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 04:05:46 pm »

I agree with Marcus, should be fine.

However when I come across such people I generally just try to work off what they're "trying to say" and respond as best I can based on that. This way you avoid bringing up the subject at all. Kiss

Raven
Highlander
Baron's Own Grenadier
Covian Legend

The Highlander

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 02:31:44 am »

I dont think we should make people have learning disabilities or speech impediments because the player may type too fast, or make a few typos... It would just create elitist people who can type properly, and people never being able to fulfil what they envisage for their character.

⚔ The Richter Crest ⚔ Order of Distinction ⚔ Border Wars ⚔ Trinsic Campaign ⚔ Vesper Civil War ⚔

[22:37] Hoagie: I think Raven would make a hot girl
[01:57] XxwarbringerxX: Raven would indeed make a hot chick.
Linaeus
Cove Command
Covian Legend

Not the Commander.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 03:50:28 am »

I purposefully mispell things to give my character an accent, and, in the case of rather large words, I'll say something like "Indypendance" for "Independence" to portray the character as being somewhat uneducated - a proper education isnt something that'd have been common at the time.

Other than that, I might use the prefix " S' " before a word instead of "Its". I mean really, who do you know that really sounds out every letter in "Its"? Or, at least, says it in a way that doesnt place so much emphasis on the S that it may as well be the entire word?

"S'alroit, lad, weh'll teach 'em whats what 'fore its over."
"'ah may 'ave caused one of 'em 'Intahnashunal Incidents'."

That sort of thing. Adds to the character's personality. Its not a speech impediment, its an accent. As far as people who mispell things unintentionally, its more of a failure on the player's part. Its not really fair to tack a lable onto their character for it, since its more the player's fault for not knowing how to spell the word. As for your character, they cant -see- the mispelling, so unless its so mispelled that it doesnt even -sound- like the word, dont worry about it.

Torrak: As far as I'm concerned, though, EA is just unauthorized modding BoC.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length