Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 09:50:20 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  [PR] A message to you all [PR]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: [PR] A message to you all [PR]  (Read 4397 times)
Lothar
Covian Regular

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2005, 10:49:01 pm »

From the website:

* Covians are tolerant and open.
* Covians, even peasants, are hardy and tough.
* Covians respect and honor the Baron.
* Covians are religious, and succumb to the will of the Church.
* Covians accept Dwarves, Elves, and other good creatures.
* Covians hate and persecute Drow.

I believe we are trying to create a medieval like atmosphere within BoC. Since our good god Octivious has created a church within BoC, it is obvious that this Church must have some sort of position. I fail to see this position when I walk around as a squire.
It is true that there are many who bow their head to me, but also many seem to adopt the RL feeling that many people have: Religion don't mean nothing to me.

I am NOT offending any people who are religious RL, I am just pointing out, that this is an roleplaying community, and when you come into a community that has a church, you must somehow play your character, so that this church means something. There will be some who will hate the church, and some who doesn't care, but I can't help but sighing deeply when I time after time witness a lack of skill that make people play zealous characters.

I myself have no religion IRL, but I have devoted myself to the Church here in BoC because I feel it could be fun and because of my interest in Templar History.
I would like to ASK you all to consider your point of view toward the Church, and try to remember, that although this is a fantasy world, the church is there for a purpose, and if the Church does not have the followers it needs, there is no reason for it to be there.

Something is missing... Something is not working... What is it?
Please anyone, share your views of the Church so that we may lighten this matter up.

Gottfried of Yew
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 10:55:19 pm »

INdeed, i know there are lots of people who want to play the "Guy who sees the truth behind the church" but you must realise, going against the churh in medieval times meant death, excommunication. But these days in BOC everyone is anti religious, and it's poor RP. Not everyone can be anti religious, or esle it just becomes a bitch to rp a churchie around people who call us "Guys in monkey suits " *Glares at Greif and Arc*

Gottfried Aberforth,
Templar of the †Covian Church†,
Loyal servant of the Baron.
Grief Dryfh Gry
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 11:17:10 pm »

Then don't take away our ale

http://cove.fantasyworld.nl/forum/index.php/topic,1556.msg14526.html#msg14526  <-- Baldies ownage!
Eason (12:40 AM) :
The play chick?
*rubs chin*

Well, by the sounds of what you're telling me, you are pretty hot yourself and stand a good chance of getting her I reckon. (Don't tell anyone I told you you're hot, or you die a grizzly death).
Eason Edit: And I was RIGHT TOO!
Calico
Old Battle Axe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

"Tired but never weak."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 03:29:01 am »

My thing is.. what the heck do we call them?!  Sir, Squire, Father.. what?!  And do we bow, salute, or just be polite...

I honestly don't know what to do when fronted with a churchie.

Right now Kate's been calling them sir.. sort of it's hit or miss because I fill silly doing it with out being sure if thats the propper title.  Shes pretty much scared into politeness since shes come here, but she wasn't raised Avatari so shes as clueless as me as to what to call them.

Leme know whats proper etique and I'll pass it on to Kate.  ^^

*Earned Merit in The Kaldorian Line Campaign*
John Dell
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 09:35:30 am »

John has just learned how the church goes and what he means, alltho he lacks a great deal of it, so hes pretty much a beliver, only it is because of the fear of death, wich was also in the medival days, so i would also want to see more people being afraid   Cheesy

Did that make any sence at all?  Lips Sealed

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal."

Oct sayeth  (19:47):
We need more Swedes.
Oct sayeth  (19:47):
"I was stabbed."
Oct sayeth (19:47):
"But I will hold this in and carry on."

First Story       --->      Smiley
Second story --->      Undecided
Third Story     --->     Sad
Gottfried of Yew
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 12:28:22 pm »

You adress the Templars and stuff either Father or Friar, and the Monks just Father, you need not bow your head, but if you do i'tll score points  Wink

Gottfried Aberforth,
Daelin
Covian Legend

Yes my Baron... I serve you well! - Daelin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 04:40:01 pm »

Well…. The way I role-play my character (Ryan) is that he was raised to believe in the church and everything their taught etc but certain problems caused him to become the black sheep of his family and he’s just about doing everything the church forbids.

But knowing the church Ryan still knows what they can do to him and will always be scared of a member of the church and try and get out of the same room as quickly as he can or suck up to him so he won’t get punished.

The main problem is probably that people know the church can’t really harm them and that kind of encourages people to talk back since to be honest the church members aren’t all that nice to them Tongue (Which is good if you ask me… bring on the fear!)

Now.. What might change this would be maybe some harsher punishments when trying to stand against the church.. Such as cutting off a finger or something like that.
This of course has to be discussed with the player of the character but they should also understand that the church won’t just give them a slap on the wrist if they call them ‘’Guys in monkey suits’’ Tongue

Anyway that’s my two cents. Smiley
Calico
Old Battle Axe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

"Tired but never weak."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 09:13:41 pm »

The thing that got Kate was the poisoned ale.  Wheather or not it actualy was the church doing that it...
Made her life difficult for an extened period of time.
Proved that they could "get her"
Made her realize just how under-handed and sneaky they could be.
In short, got her paranoid.

Your not going to have to many people agreeing to have their characters fingers lopped off, even if it would be good RP to allow it if they are chained up in a dungon and can really in no way prevent the finger chopping... just as it would be good RP to behave in a way that would keep them from getting into a place where they are desirving of a finger choppin'.

"Of course Father"
*inclines her head polietly*
Shes humble enough to not choke on her own toung doing this, but shes got enuogh grit she isn't fleeing the room, even if she is scared.

Gottfried of Yew
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 01:06:39 am »

Well today, us Templars beat to the ground 2-3 guards because of back talk (hehe what we thought was backtalk in our snobbish IC minds  Wink) But the fact of thematter is, you can't just keep acing like assholes to the church, or we will start burning people!! *waves torch*

Gottfried Aberforth,
Shadwell
Administrator
Covian Legend

Retired Commander of the Covian Army.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 09:12:44 am »

And it was very nice of Delx to agree with us OOC that chopping of a hand is cool.

We're a community togethere here roleplaying a Fantasy village, because of that we need to work together do new things and try to keep it real. So if a peasants badmouths a Guard he gets jailed. If a guard badmouths the church they get lashes. It's the way of things, only Octi has the chars that get away with everything  Grin

The Baron's Adjutant.
Hoagie ‎(6:24 PM):
Basically, the core purpose of BoC is to troll Grd
Bayne
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 11:42:46 am »

Hmmmm I think Del is the only person i've seen so far who is actually anti-church. It may be just me but I find Mikael gets respect from most guardsmen whatever their rank. That's possibly because compared to some of the other squires he's not as zealous, rewarding good faith as well as punishing bad.

Anyway I think all we can do is to post guidelines on how people might want to rp their character as in the end it's up to that player how they want to rp.

Joey Lanai
Dragoon Squad Leader
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

........=IIII=........

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 02:59:11 pm »

I dont think its a problem with the church itself, but merely the squires

When i play Arc, he doesnt hold squires at a high level, as squires are supposed to be the run around's for the higher-ups, though Templars are to be feared and respected.

Im not saying he ball d off at squires and im not pushing anyone to, its just the way they're seen in general. As far as Arc's concerned, Squires hold no place of authority and merely do the templars dirty work, when they carry the word of a templar, they have power if you catch my drift.

Bayne
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 03:44:01 pm »

Which is exactly the reason why for the last few months I have been arguing till i'm blue in the face on the church forum, that the squire position should be changed to something else. In my opinion it is an awful rank, in BoC Squire is for people who are one step away from becomming fully fledged Templi and therefore hold great authority within the church. The name "squire" does not convey this message. What you described Arc was the church sentinels who come before squires.

Suggestions have been: Sergeant Brothers, Templar Errants, Templi Initiates.

If any of you have better suggestions would love to hear them.

Delcarakdur
One-handed and one-eyed Elf
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Mess with Delc and he will wack you with his stump

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 04:16:49 pm »

I have my reasons to be "anti-church"...

Firstly, I RP an elf, so I don't worship the same god (or gods for that matter). I worship the entire elven pantheon of gods. I only pay lip service to the avatar...

Secondly, I don't like religion IRL, so playing a "anti-church" character is natural for me

And finally, as an elf I can't stop looking down on humans and especially their culture and society...

Octie:
This thread has reached the pinnacle of its usefulness. We've established Kas is a hippy. Thread locked.
Calico
Old Battle Axe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

"Tired but never weak."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 04:51:44 pm »

Quite honestly I'd be upset if any elf didn't woship Corllon, or Eru.  As far as gods go, the elves really have the best deal.  However some one that is sevral hundread years old should have developed the tact and social grace to avoid getting them selves hung.

Your an elf, you are so above them all.  Don't lessen yourself with squabbling.  Be polite, and respectful even if they don't desirve it, and if it really rubs you so the wrong way.... is it worth your immortal life to stay in Cove and risk death?  You will live another thousand years, and in that time you will have the satafaction of watching these foul men die a slow death.

Brings to mind the question; whats an elf doing in Cove any way... muddy ugglie back watter edenea village. *turns her nose up*

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length