Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 07:47:45 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  What keeps -you- in UO?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What keeps -you- in UO?  (Read 2660 times)
Linaeus
Cove Command
Covian Legend

Not the Commander.

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:05:15 am »

I'm sure that pretty much everyone here has at one point either left the game for a while or considered doing so. UO is a fairly aged game, and the general agreement seems to be that it isn't what it used to be. So, I'm wondering, what keeps you all here? What keeps you logging in? For me it's a bit of the following;

1. Preservation. I'm terrified by the thought that everything the Community has made, all of our history, stories, characters, guilds, and so on are in very real danger of disappearing. Every person that leaves the game or goes inactive is a crack in the foundation of the shard's history. I stay because I don't want the memory of players past and present, the things they did, and the stories they wrought, to just disappear.

2. Friends. There are 194 people on my ICQ list, and further 161 on my AIM. I count each and every person on these lists, regardless of how long they stayed with us, regardless of my experiences with them, as friends. Some are better friends than others, but all of them keep me logging in. To just stop playing UO would be to lose contact with the vast majority of them.

3. Freedom. In UO, a player can be or do anything - especially if they're a Roleplayer. If you want to ply your wares as a blacksmith, you can. If you want to go in search of literally buried treasure, go right ahead. If you want to Roleplay as the head of state of a vast and diverse nation, it may take a bit of sweat, blood, and tears, but even that's within reach. All it takes is determination, activity, and a bit of initiative.

I'm almost a Historian first and Roleplayer second.  Tongue

So, why do you still play?

Torrak: As far as I'm concerned, though, EA is just unauthorized modding BoC.
Sergio
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 08:42:08 am »

Addiction and being easily pulled back in, I've played for 10 years and there are a few people who have made my gaming experience what it is and I like remembering them.
Hoagie
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Actually a Corporal

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:11:15 pm »

I keep playing because if I log in less than 55 times a week, my computer will explode.

In seriousness though, you guys are the reason I still play UO. Even though I've been a ghost during term time, I like to try and do my bit to keep things going. Particularly the Cove Train. Helping to run a guild is like creating something that other people can take nearly limitless enjoyment from.

Choo choo. Grin

*Signed*
Hoagie Grayner, Commander
⚔ The Richter Crest ⚔ The Covian Seal ⚔ Order of Recruitment ⚔ Minoc Liberation Campaign ⚔ Kaldor Line Campaign ⚔ Vesper Civil War ⚔

Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 01:42:49 pm »

Fun, Friends and Fond memories and more of the same for the Future.

Choo! Choo! Wink

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Faden
Life is a challenge
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

o[xxx]:::::;;;;;;>

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 03:11:32 pm »

Always a interesting question. I play because I have fun roleplaying and the community is fantastic. I love the sandbox feel to the game, complete freedom to do what you want.

I think I've left and returned over the years because I missed that sandbox freedom.

Escaflowne -V-
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 07:54:15 pm »

Hoagie keeps me here, with his warm, tender, loving arms.

Leanne Martin
Hoagie's pet
The Light Company
Covian Legend

Pickles' Shadow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 08:12:40 pm »

In first case because it cools me down from everyday stress, may it be while kickin' some arses in PvP or just hanging around and crafting things.

Also the friends I made here, some are closer ones, some are not, but they keep me loging in almost every day.

Also the freedom you have in UO, compared with other MMORPGs. You can do a completely f**ked up template. You can chose all by yourself, how your character will turn.

2x Covian Seal ⚜ Rage of Raaz ⚜ 2x Ribbon of Activity ⚜ Order of Leadership ⚜ The Richter's Crest ⚜ Order of Distinction ⚜ Jhelom Campaign ⚜ Coalition against Undead ⚜ Liberation of Nu'jelm
Axiana
Axiana Masteen
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

Covian Patrician

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 08:34:52 pm »

The fun that I have had in the past (especially relating to roleplay), far outweighs any aspect of the game I find to be frustrating, and keeps on pulling me back!

Escaflowne -V-
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 11:18:16 pm »

I wish all this stuff would pull all the other old RP'ers back. Used to be tons and tons of us back in the day.

Celuvian
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

I bring the Haap..

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 12:32:11 pm »

I play for the freedom the game gives you, you can do anything you want. I play for the athmosphere. I play for the friends. I play for the guilds. I play for the fun.
I will always play as long as UO gives me all this enjoyment, and more.

Grin

[Since Esca reads these boards I better add this]: I also play for the pvp.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 12:39:54 pm by Celuvian » Logged
Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 02:23:17 pm »

What keeps -you- in UO?

I stay in UO.....

"'Cause I've got no place else to go!"

Radek Wilkes
Yewish Sergeant
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 04:21:00 pm »

The people, the memories, the fact that UO has the best concept for a game out of all the MMO's and singleplayers out there, fullstop.

Rbl <3 Thf
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length