Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:53:11 pm
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  Guardsman Boards
| |-+  Guardsman Duties
| | |-+  Completed Guardsman Duties
| | | |-+  Recruit Duty ~ The History of the Light Company
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Recruit Duty ~ The History of the Light Company  (Read 2833 times)
Gregor Eason
Cove Command
Covian Legend

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2011, 12:31:53 pm »

There have been many ages of the Covian Army's Light Company Scouts. Conduct  research on the Forum and through the Baronship Tome to compile a short essay on the History of the Light Company.

~ Write 500 words on the History of the Light Company.
~ Cover areas such as Squad Leaders, Combat Style, Historical Events, and so forth.
~ Include sketches from old posts, if you find any!
~ This is a slightly academic piece, but hopefully you'll enjoy what you find out about the Light Company!
~ Post in the thread below.

This task may only be completed by Guardsman Recruits.
This task may be completed once (every while).

Gregor Eason
Senior Guardsman, Covian Army
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:37:06 pm by Gregor Eason » Logged

Garak: "Uh, I was under the impression we didn't allow neon hair?"
Grief: "I was under the impression we didn't allow hair at all!?"
Serj Eason
Covian Citizen

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 02:37:40 pm »

Serj scratched his head.
“A duty left o’er by mah own daideó (grand-father)..” He dipped his quill in some ink and began to write on parchment. Whilst roughly spoken, Serj’s writing ability was not at all bad.

The History of the Light Company

“If yer want ta be in tha Light Company you’d best learn to move unseen.”
Spoken by Jennifer Feather, as recorded by Watchman Edmund Rufus (February 19, 2005 - Royal Marksmen Activity).

Early Records of the Light Company
The 2nd Light Company, as its squad number suggests, has been around for a long time. The earliest reports I have found show Althalus, the first Scout Sergeant, commencing recruitment for the squad (March 26, 2005 - Light Company Recruiting).
The Light Company was first endorsed (if perhaps not so publicly mentioned) by Baron Octiovus during a date with a foreign woman of some sort, as per the transcript below.
Octiovus: But mages are not fit for the Grenadiers..
Kata: *smiles faintly*
Octiovus: *Nods solemnly*
Kata: Grenadiers..
Kata: You have some sections in your militia?
Octiovus: Indeed, three, to be precise.
Kata: *nods and eats cake*
Octiovus: My own Grenadiers,
Octiovus: The Covian Dragoons,
Octiovus: And the Light Company.

Baron mentions the Light Company during date.

I can only imagine this transcript was recorded by the Light Company itself (March 29, 2005 - Baron Goes On Date!). Whilst I have stumbled across it in the Household Archives, I ponder whether Baron Octiovus was aware he was under surveillance. This, of course, suggests that the Light Company, on occasion, operates independently of the Baron and the Baronship Household.

First Scout Mission
The earliest mission assigned to the Light Company I could find record of was set by Hrothgar De’Mar, who I am led to believe was an officer at the time. According to the mission briefing, the Light Company were tasked with infiltrating Magincia, Trinsic and Strongholt; the latter being the headquarters of the Army of Kaldor. There is no further information concerning the outcome of this mission other than it was ‘COMPLETED’ (July 14, 2005 - Enemy Infiltration). Typical of discretionary warfare, successes are rarely are known – only failures – but following this mission completion there was recognition of the Light Company’s efforts in the campaign that became known as ‘The Kaldorian Line’.
“Through superb tactical strikes from the Militia's scouts, the Light Company, vital resources of the Kaldorian Army were lost; and the Militia fought through to claim their first sentry position.”
Gregor Eason, Commander (July 25, 2005 - Covians Attack Kaldorian Line!)

The Kaldorian Line. Successful deployment of Scouts saw success against Kaldor.

Light Company Headquarters
The secrecy of the Light Company’s headquarters has always been one of intrigue, and occasionally some controversy (guardsmen have joked it may be a brothel; August 25, 2005 - The Light Company Tower).

Scout Commander..?!
Our renowned Commander, Hoagie Graynor, attended Scout training at the Light Company Training Grounds when he was a Guardsman Recruit (August 10, 2005 - Valiro’s Training Session). However, he was destined for the Dragoons. A job for another historian perhaps.

Active Surveillance
The Light Company are always vigilant. We often wonder whether our borders are being effectively guarded. On one occasion, Light Company Scouts prevented Cove from being completely overrun by Yew forces by alerting the rest of the Covian guardsmen. The Covian guardsmen only had minutes to prepare, but such time is precious when defending against attack.
I walked towards the Barracks, through the iron gate which leads into the town of Cove, when I heard a distant call from one of the Light Company Scouts.
"Yewmen incoming! Every free guard to the Barracks!" With haste I grabbed my bow, slung it onto my back and started to sprint towards the Barracks. On my arrival, a few guardsmen had already lined up. I joined the line looking at the men. I saw confused and tired faces. They had just returned from various duties and didn't expect this to happen. Now they just had a couple of minutes to get ready before the Yewmen would arrive.
“Rupert”, assumed a Guardsman Recruit (November 30, 2005 - Report: Yewmen testing Covians.

Whilst I imagine the Light Company have provided hundreds of reconnaissance reports, through active surveillance they also identified a major offensive being planned by the Guardsmen Militia of Yew.
“Intelligence provided by the Light Company has just confirmed a massive offensive being organised by the Guardsmen Militia of Yew, led by Lord Protector Klion D'Gar.”
As detailed in Commander Eason’s preparations for defence at a stragetically important bridge somewhere in the North (January 2, 2006 - HOLD THE BRIDGE!).

Following reports provided by the Light Company, defense preparations are made against Yew.
January 2, 2006.

Light Company Scouts in disguise investigating Vesper.
August 25, 2011 - Baronial Request: Vesper Reconnaissance

Squad Strength
During its most active days, the Light Company was the biggest squad in the Baronship as detailed in this roster penned by Darath Mithar (January 26, 2006 - Unit Strength).

Commander: Erik Arkay
Captain: Shadwell
Exploring Officer: Gregor Eason

1st Baron's Own Grenadiers
Officer Cadet Vince Valentine
Regular Grenadier Gimbley
Junior Grenadier Rupert Ridir

2nd Light Company
Scouts Sergeant: Valiro
Officer Cadet Drachir
Officer Cadet Kal Shadowhand
Senior Scout Althalus
Regular Scout Calico Kate
Junior Scout Cori’Ari
Junior Scout Garand
Junior Scout Jenifer Feather

3rd Glenmore Highlanders
Officer Cadet Rory Munro
Regular Highlander Raiden Morena
Regular Highlander Delcarakdur
Regular Highlander Thomas Sendrich

4th Altmere Dragoons
Dragoons 1st Corporal: Joey
Regular Dragoon Anari

Scout Sergeant Valiro Gryphonclaw leads a Training Session, in collaboration with Grenadier Vince Valentine.
December 12, 2005 - Report: Valiro's Training

Notable Light Company Scouts
Althalus, Scout Sergeant (the first Light Company officer)
Valiro Gryphonclaw, Scout Sergeant
Mela E. Arkay, Scout Sergeant
Jenifer Feather, Scout Corporal
Aliryl Trefynwyd, Scout Corporal
Kal ShadowHand, Senior Scout
Faden Wildheart, Senior Scout
Cor’Ari Ta, Regular Scout
Calico Kate, Regular Scout
Drachir, Regular Scout
Sergio Jarrett, Regular Scout
Dalamar Carnesîr, Regular Scout
Leith Keres, Junior Scout
Olchafa “Chaffers” Serpent
Keane Wakefield
Leanne Melior
Garand
Garak Nightchill

Interview with Kal ShadowHand, one of Cove’s finest Scouts
January 17, 2007 - The Gossip Goblin, January Issue
Gossip Goblin: Hello Kal and congratulations on being chosen BoC's member of the month.

Kal ShadowHand: Well I thank ye

Gossip Goblin: You were chosen for your remarkable loyalty and dedication to the Baronship of Cove. How long have you been a member?

Kal ShadowHand: The years I 'ave been a Member in this fine Army is too many to remember

Gossip Goblin: A fully fledged veteran you would say?

Kal ShadowHand: Aye! I would be considered a Veteran in this fine Army

Gossip Goblin: And ofcourse you plan on continuing for many more years to come, right?

Kal ShadowHand: Indeed I do, for I will watch some come and some go I have no reason to leave and further more don't wish to move on

Kal ShadowHand: I found my nitch in life

Gossip Goblin: Great to hear Kal, now what has been the most enjoyable experience in BoC?

Kal ShadowHand: Sneaking around scaring people that don't know I AM THERE

Gossip Goblin: *Laughs*

Kal ShadowHand: *Grins*

Gossip Goblin: As a seasoned veteran, is there anything in particular that you feel this guild is in need of to become a stronger and better community?

Kal ShadowHand: Well as we all know we are indeed loosing more men each day that goes by. We can use more men to further protect our Fine Commoners and the town we call home

Kal ShadowHand: With more to protect the our fellow members of the town they would not have to worry so much about getting jumped and attacked

Gossip Goblin: Right you are Kal! Any final words?

Kal ShadowHand: I would like to say that Sence I have been around the Baronship and this fine town I could not see myself in any other town at all, FOR COVE

Gossip Goblin: Thank you for that Kal!

Kal ShadowHand: *Salutes*

Kal ShadowHand: T'was my pleasure

Wider Reading
January 18, 2009 - Assassinating a Renegade Scout
October 7, 2009 - The Elf Liberation Front

(OOC: The following has been researched through the BoC Boards from its founding in 2004 until 2008 (with a few screenies/references beyond that). Apologies if any of the detail is inaccurate, particularly with respect to the list of notable Scouts. I haven't done a completely in-depth job; more just a grazing over some of the Light Company's history.)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:14:58 pm by Serj Eason » Logged

For my family.

Holder of The Golden Quill and The Ribbon of Activity.

Serj Speaks: A Bard's Journal
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length