Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 09:56:41 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  There is skill and there is ability.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: There is skill and there is ability.  (Read 6318 times)
Moraine DiGoraz
Banned for excessive profanity.
Citizen of Cove
Covian Veteran

Unlike cool Covians I am banned for being an idiot

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:54:26 pm »

In my opinion, if a roleplayed character is really good at something, this character should have some corresponding skills.

A roleplayed legendary fighter should have 120 in tactics and weaponskill.
An assassin should have hiding and stealth and at least poisoning or ninjitsu.
A bard should have musicianship as an alchemist should have alchemy and these skills should be slightly on par with the roleplayed skill of the characters.

These are obvious examples. Now, what I'd like to talk about is how much do people work RP skills in their template in order to be a "more realistic roleplayer"?

Is your template 100% optimized for pvp or have you left some room for skills that are not there to serve a direct purpose and are...
nevermind, I think I forgot what point I was trying to make.

Gah!

Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 07:03:17 pm »

Then stop making useless threads.

Perhaps you were saying that people aren't 100 percent warriors but have some alternative skill, perhaps they like fishing and therefore has fishing instead of some warrior skill?

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 07:04:44 pm »

Not pointless! There's a reason Khae has fishing! And it's not for its über PvP bonuses!
Moraine DiGoraz
Citizen of Cove
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 08:12:52 pm »

I'm talking about more obscure skills really.

At some point Kazuo was a well established merchant and banker, hence he had GM ItemID Cheesy
To have skills just because they fit a character, not because they give extra bonusses.

Kasei has a 100% samurai, pure pvp template.
But hey, in a way that fits his character as well as he was born, raised and trained to be a combat machine. It's just that these days it seems everyone is a pureblood warrior while there are so much more skills to choose from, even though they don't give you any added pvp bonus.

A nature lubbing elf should have at least 50 herding, animal taming and animal lore (and 50 musicianship so they can play their annoying music all night long).

Were I to play a civilian that is a librarian he damn well would have at least 80 inscription and perhapsd (just to make a statement) I'd drop magery after training inscription so it's just for the cool looks (and the title of "scribe" which no one sees unless you are lvl3 fame)

Moraine DiGoraz
Citizen of Cove
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 09:10:08 pm »

The point of this thread is to more or less start a discussion on how you feel about implementing RP skills in your template. You know the "omgwtfpwn maximum pvp" template vs. the roleplayer leisure type.

Hell, even my assassin (and we all know assassins have fudging cramped templates) has 70 alchemy just because it fits his background.

qom_riyadh
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 09:11:42 pm »

I don't see why any RP char (not RPvP) should have specific skills.

I will RP an Auctioneer - what skills should he have, according to you?
Okay, maybe ItemID might fit his role, but first of all - what for?
Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 09:22:16 pm »

Yeah, it's not like people that role play can SEE how much ItemID you have. Or tracking, unless you can actually role play tracking something what you have in tracking skill isn't worth much.

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Ileana Leontine
Citizen of Cove
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 09:25:25 pm »

Were I to play a civilian that is a librarian he damn well would have at least 80 inscription
I am a Librarian with 50 Inscription which pretty accurately demonstrates my thoughts on this matter. The whole point of roleplay is not to have game mechanics necessarily dictate what you can be or do.
Moraine DiGoraz
Citizen of Cove
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 04:22:49 pm »

Just for personal gratification I guess Wink

anyway, I gots teh matching skillz so I am a betterder roleplayer than yous guys!

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 04:48:30 pm »

I completely understand where you're coming from Kazuo because all the skills I have on Kas are suited to his role as a student of the magical arts.

His template looks like this....

• 115 Evaluating Intelligence
  • 100 Inscription
  • 100 Alchemy
  • 100 Wrestling
  • 100 Magery
  • 100 Meditation
  • 83.5 Resisting Spells

Now obviously the extra 15 in Evaluating Intelligence is leaning towards the "OMG I have a collection of pwned faces" angle but in general I have the skills I have because they fit the role. A couple of times people have told me to drop certain skills and replace them with things that would let me survive longer or cause more damage but I always decline.

My template reinforces my roleplay, I like to vanquish our enemies and feel victorious afterwards but I'd get quite bored if that's all I ever did. I understand where people are coming from when they say it shouldn't be a requirement, but from my perspective I really enjoy having a set of skills with a connecting theme (I.E magic).

In conclusion....

I wanna cast magic missile !

(PS; My Resisting Spells needs work)

Khaelieth
Citizen of Cove
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 08:50:13 pm »

But you have wrestling...

Khae doesn't have wrestling because... well, he's not physically inclined to beat people up with fists. He prefers the snap of the fingers and corp por! I also gave him hiding and stealth to reflect him being an elf. I considered animal taming and lore... but then it doesn't fit with his background. He's a High Elf with little inclination towards animals, he prefers the company of others. I considered giving him cartography, as he's now a bit of a sailor, but decided fishing had to do the trick.
Garak Nightchill
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 10:26:48 pm »

Garak's

110 Eval Int
105 magery approx
100 med
105 wrestle approx
100 hiding
80 stealth
100 Scribe

By dropping hide/stealth I could beef the cchar up a bit but at present I like being the sneaky elf. 

In contrast, Bishop Reynard Destain has healing and anatomy, but no wrestle since as an elderly priest I don't see him disarming people.
Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 01:31:39 pm »

I admit if I think hard about it then wrestling does tend to resemble a bit of a sore thumb amongst all the magic themed skills.

But wrestling was always the skill mages had when I first started training one, so that's what he got. He doesn't actually wrestle people WWF style he just sort of makes them drop their weapon or stop in their tracks with a quick flick of the wrist (which have grown stronger on account of all the spellcasting).

Of course I've just made that excuse up on the spot, but hey !

Stop dissing my wrestling.

Moraine DiGoraz
Citizen of Cove
Covian Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 06:09:32 pm »

OMGOMGOMG COME 2 FEL N MY WRESTLING ROXXORZ U!

Well, to be honest, Kazuo has wrestling too...
But then, he is Japanese, so he is an innate ability to kick people's arses with his bare hands.

Kazuo's template is still a big mystery to most people though *grins*
but basicly I modeled his template after the way I like to roleplay him in combination with his roleplay history.

Mercy
Covian Guardsman
Covian Regular

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 06:58:35 pm »

I have healing and Anat on Mercy because she's very caring towards others and likes to help keep people healed.  It might mean I can't have over GM in my other skills but its very hand when hunting in dungeons so I can heal two people at the same time.   I do see her as a kind of cleric/healer than just a mage who can hit people with damaging spells.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length