Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2024, 09:50:39 am
Website Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Join us on Discord! If you're having trouble with the invite link, contact Armitage Shanks#7063

+  Welcome to Cove
|-+  OOC Boards
| |-+  OOC Board (Moderators: Kelly Sanderson, Hoagie)
| | |-+  There is skill and there is ability.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: There is skill and there is ability.  (Read 6317 times)
Drachir
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Cutlass-wielding pirate-scout!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 11:20:14 pm »

I think the whole, 'having skills to go with the character you're roleplaying' is good 'n all, but only for civilians who arn't gonna do much PvP.

'Cause alot of people join the Militia because they wanna do some fair PvP, with some awesome RP involved in it too, and you're not gonna be RPing a decent fighter if you have a character that really likes writing, so you decide to give him GM inscription...

In conclusion, its a good idea, but only to a certain extent, if you get the point where you're jepardising your RP for the sake of RP, if you get what i mean, it should stop there.

Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 10:56:58 am »

I don't agree Drachir. I think the main point of people joining the army is because that's where the most RP is at. If everyone had alternative skills instead of pumped up pvp characters then there wouldn't be so much of a difference in either pvp or rp.

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
Drachir
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Cutlass-wielding pirate-scout!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 09:17:57 am »

Yeah, RP battles, that's why people join. Its only after they've joined that they discover the events besides the PvP events.

But you'd be RPing extremely badly if you were a Junior Dragoon, for example, with a hobby of fishing, so gave your character GM fishing.
Obviously if you have 100 spare skill points then there's no harm, but if you're jeopardising your RP of a junior dragoon then I don't think its a very good idea to try and make your skills reflect your character's personality and hobbies.

Garak Nightchill
The Light Company
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 09:54:44 am »

Other thing to consider is even if it makes sense for a char to have a skill, like alchemy or inscription, how high should it go?  A char may have an interest in alchemy, or writing, or fishing as a hobby but thery may only be adept, not a grandmaster.  Grandmastery pretty much suggests you know just about everything worth knowing about the subject. 
Jack Sinist (•̪●)
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

Growing up hurts when you compare

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 10:20:38 am »

Yeah, RP battles, that's why people join. Its only after they've joined that they discover the events besides the PvP events.

But you'd be RPing extremely badly if you were a Junior Dragoon, for example, with a hobby of fishing, so gave your character GM fishing.
Obviously if you have 100 spare skill points then there's no harm, but if you're jeopardising your RP of a junior dragoon then I don't think its a very good idea to try and make your skills reflect your character's personality and hobbies.

How do you know that people just join for the RP battles? Perhaps you did, but how do you know that most do? I didn't.

"Kyle! This is how the world works. If you want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the dicks first."
userjosh5368
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 02:10:49 pm »

Well, I'd say from watching resently there hasn't been much motivation of people wanting to move up the rank's and when a PvP based event is on alot ore show for it, which really is sad .
Moraine DiGoraz
Banned for excessive profanity.
Citizen of Cove
Covian Veteran

Unlike cool Covians I am banned for being an idiot

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 06:08:51 pm »

Civilians are most often roleplayed by people who need less guidance than the average militia member. They have alot fewer things going on while in general a militia member can log in and has fun created for him or her in the form of regular events.For some people this means they have to put in very little efford to enjoy the guild and it can mean they see no need to organize things on their own.

I have always admired those who created a non-conventional (read non-fighter) character and made their own fun and events. It it true though that this is most often done by the more experienced roleplayers and for someone new being a recruit is a nice way to get started within the guild.

Still, having more diverse templates, not just combat oriented, would make the people of Cove alot more lifelike and to utilize non-combat skills people would have to figure out a way to use these skills (by doing other stuff than just fighting).

As usually there is not really a point to what I just said, just venting my thoughts out loud.
With that said, my Covian Utopia would be a Baronship where all army members would have secondary professions as a civilian as well. Eventually if they decide to go carreer (reach the rank of officer) then they would devote their time to the army exclusively.

If I had my way, every character in Cove would have to invest at least 100 points in a non-combat non-scout (otherwise people are likely to invest the points in either hiding, lumberjacking or skills along those lines) skill and roleplay accordingly. For newer members this would ofcourse mean they need a bit more incentive to actually be taught how to use these skills in a roleplayed manner.

Calico
Old Battle Axe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

"Tired but never weak."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 04:04:41 pm »

Even as a pvp character some times it's fun to do stuf in the intrest of storyline that makes you less than battle ready.  At one point and time Calico's left shoulder was way messed up from a battle injury making it all but impossible to use a sword... she used a crossbow instead and had archery for about a month. Light crossbow, very very light hehehe.

When she was first limping back from spending a few years boozing it up she played tailor for a time. The logic being she had to physicaly recoperate from bein so weak for so long. Not that, you know, she was ever very good at it, but I had 60 or so tailoring.

It's just as well making special templates dosen't appeal to every one... what if after every major battle half the milita started role playing serious injuries?!

*Earned Merit in The Kaldorian Line Campaign*
qom_riyadh
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 06:16:21 pm »

It's just as well making special templates dosen't appeal to every one... what if after every major battle half the milita started role playing serious injuries?!

This, next to seeing guardsmen wearing civil clothing and being off-duty, is something I'd deffo like to see in BoC. Sorry, that it is next to impossible to achieve.
Devlin
Sailing the Veety Sea
Guest Of Cove

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 09:06:53 am »

stop in their tracks with a quick flick of the wrist (which have grown stronger on account of all the spellcasting).

On account of the spellcasting eh?

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 10:51:06 am »

And the bitchslapping of people with dodgy implications ! Grin

Raiden Morana
Cove Command
Administrator
Covian Legend

Hup! Hup!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 12:13:57 pm »

Well... In Raiden's case, he joined Cove as a would be warrior, a shieldfighter.

Thus the first skill he maxed was parrying (plus I'm vain and wanted the warrior title Grin).

Through his years in the army Raiden has also learned all there is to know about his weapon skill and of course with the Grenadiers being sticklers for training and discipline his tactics and focus too have been maxed.

The Grenadiers form the main block of the army in battle so the squad too is renowned for it's ability to keep eachother and fellow guardsmen on their feet in combat hence anatomy is also maxed and healing is strong. Wink

As a Grenadier he is also well trained in the art of explosives...

So the spare 10 points i have on his template will go into alchemy!

Hoh!

Grin

Just to add... The vast majority of his skills (most skills were around 70-80 when he signed up) were learned on the job as it were, during hunts/trainings/patrols etc. - not powergaming. So it can be done and should be done! Tongue

Retired Commander & Grenadier Captain.

Holder of The Richter Crest, The Baron's Cross, The Covian Seal (x2), Rage Of Raaz.

Veteran of The Kaldorian Line, First Minoc Campaign, Vesper Campaign, Yew Campaign, Second Minoc Campaign, The Border Wars, Vesperian Civil War & The Great Combine.

Kas Valentine
Spellbook of Cove
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 12:37:16 pm »

Ever since I justified having wrestling on Kas I've been thinking....

"Who says wrestling isn't something a wizard would have"

I mean we're not talking Lord of the Rings, Disney or Dungeons and Dragons here, we're talking about Ultima Online mages. Ever since I was aware of the mage template I've known it to include wrestling. Of course over the years it's been replaced or swapped out so people can chop people (hally mages), poison people (nox mages) or hide from people (stealth mages) and countless other things.

The addition of special moves to wrestling has made it a little harder to roleplay with, hence my crazy strong wrists story, but I originally had wrestling for the same reasons as the Stratics essay;

"Meaning a high combat skill vs. a low combat skill would result in the higher hitting more and the lesser less.

For mages this is also true. A mage who is trying to cast a spell and gets attacked can be interrupted if his opponent manages to hit him. A mage with a high wrestling skill will be hit less, and therefore has a higher chance of casting a spell in close combat. Wrestling in this case is not used as an attack skill, but rather as a defensive skill with a positive side-effect on offense; can can cast that Energy Bolt even if under attack.
"

In conclusion, wrestling is great.

S'as mage related as pearl and root I tell yer.....

PEARL AND ROOT !

Calico
Old Battle Axe
Covian Guardsman
Covian Legend

"Tired but never weak."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 02:39:40 pm »

Just to add... The vast majority of his skills (most skills were around 70-80 when he signed up) were learned on the job as it were, during hunts/trainings/patrols etc. - not powergaming. So it can be done and should be done! Tongue

Honestly I think that's the way to do it.  If you join up and get active your skills will realy climb. Sparring is a great way to gain skill since most other guards are more skilled. You earn 'skill' and learn 'ability' like pvp pointers. Pluss it can make for awsome role play.

I'll admit I took Calico to Despise a few times, but really the gains I got there were neglagable... I couldn't power game her because I was new to the shard and broke!

*Earned Merit in The Kaldorian Line Campaign*
Anari/Gareck Hallows
Covian Guardsman
Covian Veteran

A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 10:56:01 am »

When Anari joined, he was completely useless warrior but he's always been a very hot headed character and usually got himself into things he couldnt get himself out of, but he developed over time in BoC. His skills increasing OOC and IC which helped me develop his personality aswell, becoming slowly more of a tutor than a meat head. ^^

But basically, my opinion on the skill and ability thing is this:

- People forget that RP is actually RP... just because you dont have the a skill such as Scribe, doesnt mean your character cant be a great author. But this isnt to say that theres anything wrong with getting inscription to do this, but all i'm saying is that pressing ctrl+s [salute] has become so many different things, drinking ale, slapping someone, even throwing a bit of wood at a Kaldorian etc.

So why do we have to make it even harder to elaborate on the game for roleplay by confining peoples RP traits to having certain skills...

Anyways, thats my lecture done  Kiss

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length